Conv top squeeks on bumps - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 00, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey, My convertible top, or maybe the top of the windshield where it attaches, squeeks pretty bad every time I hit a bump. Can I/should I tighten it up? Loosen it? Spray the rubber weatherstrip with something? Steve Laabs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 03:05 AM
Tech Team

laabs,

I have a 68 conv. that does the same thing. It's more of a "cracking" sound when I hit a bump. I have tried adjusting the attaching hooks, but it doesn't seem to help.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 06:36 AM
Tech Team

I also have a 68 conv. It sounds like it mihgt be coming from where the "header bow"(the part that rests on the windshield)attaches to the siderails wher the release handles are located. There can be a lot of movement in this metal on metal area. Thats just one guess out of many! I just had a new top and weatherstrip installed. But first I sanded the frame, treated the surface rust, replaced the tack strips,added new hydraulic fluid,adjusted the frame linkage and put a couple coats of satin black on it.

Sean
68 327/PG wht/blk conv.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sean, did you eliminate the squeek? I've got a new top, new rubber, and new chrome on the top of the windshield where the top attaches. At 60mph the squeeking is pretty bad. Any suggestions? Steve Laabs
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 07:05 AM
Tech Team

Steve, If you had the chrome replaced on top of windshield, that might be the likely cause of the squeak. When I removed the two original pieces on mine I noted GM had put some sort of body putty on the ridge under the length of the chrome caps. It appeared to have come out of a tube when originaly applied to prevent water seapage and vibration. I was told by a bodyman to use a non-adhesive, non-silicone painters caulk which I squirted underneath the chrome caps before pounding them into place with a rubber mallet. When your top is clamped to the windshield it puts pressure on the chrome cap. Without that caulk youve got the header cap metal possibly rubbing against the metal on the winddshield frame. When the top is down you probably dont have the squeak. Another thing to look at is the windshield trim. See if its rubbing against the cap anywhere. Just my ideas...Let me know what you think.
Sean
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 00, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sean,
Sorry so long to reply. I'll save the excuses for later. You're right: the top only squeaks above 60mph with the top up; otherwise, I listen to the back shocks squeaking in the bumps...I'm going to check for metal on metal next week when I'm home. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the help. Steve Laabs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode