69 Camaro TPI Fuel Tank conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 01, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Has anyone bought or had converted a 69 camaro fuel tank that will allow me to run a 350 TPI motor and have the factory style fuel sender , return, and a high pressure pump in the tank. Looking for a supplier, a service, or any information.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Yellow 69 z28 soon to be 1969 COPO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 01, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech

I bought a Rock Valley tank and it is awesome. Not cheap but what is these days. Don't have the number handy but go to www.google.com or prolly a search on this board will get you the contact info.

Good luck!

------------------
1969 Camaro RS Convertible
406 SBC Accel Superram, 700R4, 3.55 12 bolt
DSE Modified Wayne Due suspension, 17" Budnik Prisms, Baer 13" 4 wheel discs, Recaro SRD's, Custom Detroit Speed dash
http://communities.msn.com/TheBearHunt/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 01, 06:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

It's actually pretty simple to modify your sender for an extra fuel line and use the stock one for a return line. I took some 1/2" tubing, bent to fit the bottom of the tank, drilled a hole (carefully) in the stock sender, and brazed it in. This worked fine until I got my new tank. I was also using an external fuel pump as I didn't know of any internal ones that had enough flow.

Rock Valley makes a nice stainless steel tank with any option including an in-tank pump. These are direct replacements and have a lot better baffling than the stock tanks. I believe the price was $525 or so. I had a #10 outlet and #8 return installed in mine. As I said, they also make one that already has the pump in it like a late-model car. Their phone number is (800) 344-1934.

Jody

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 05:09 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Just throwing out options here. A couple years ago one of the magazines featured a black 69 conv. that was running the engine/tranny from a wrecked police package caprice (92-96?). The guy had also swapped in the caprice fuel tank. There was no mention whether it was a direct bolt in or if major modifications were required, but you get a tank mounted fuel pump, the tank is plastic (no rusting) and holds like 23 gallons. Plus you can find them used relatively cheap-search www.car-parts.com

The sedan tank uses a rear fill behind the license plate like a 69 (you don't want one from a wagon-side fill from the quarter panel).

I want to try to run one of these tanks in my 68, I just need to get a chance to take a good look at one and get some measurements.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 05:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I remember that article. Quite a feat. As I recall, the gas tank required mods to work.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode