protecto plate needs decoded? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 00, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Question

i bought this car and am a rookie trying to restore this car can you tell me what this protectoplate #mean or decode it for me and do you have any parts for me motor trannt and 12 bolt rear that would appear to be original thanks v0123dz 124379n586687h bu0121g p9a14 133 it looks like a h and a one and a dimond symbol below them ? any help would be greatly appricated

[This message has been edited by sobadiam (edited 06-15-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 00, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sobadiam:
i bought this car and am a rookie trying to restore this car can you tell me what this protectoplate #mean or decode it for me and do you have any parts for me motor trannt and 12 bolt rear that would appear to be original thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

vo123dz 124379n586687h p9a14 133 buo121g
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 00, 02:40 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Talking

You have a 69 Z28 as indicated by the DZ engine code on the protect-o-plate. No doubt about that. The V0123DZ is the engine code saying it was built Jan 23(01 23) at the Flint(V) plant. The rear is a 12 bolt posi 3.73(BU) gear ratio built on Jan 21(01 21). The transmission is a Muncie 4 speed built Jan 14th 1969(9A14). You'll have to check the stamping on your trans to tell if it's an M20,M21 or M22. Look for an A,B or C after the (9A14) on the transmission itself. The 133 tells you a couple of options like power disc brakes, AM radio and maybe power steering, but I don't have that information in front of me. Check www.camaros.org for that information. You need to check the front pad of your engine on the passenger side just in front of the cylinder head and look for the V0123DZ stamped into it. If that matches, then it looks like you may have the original engine. The VIN should be stamped either up there or down near the oil filter in the rough cast area that goes up and down. Very hard to read the VIN from that area. Let us know what you find on the engine. Also post the trim tag information from the fire wall if you can.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car, Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 00, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff H:
You have a 69 Z28 as indicated by the DZ engine code on the protect-o-plate. No doubt about that. The V0123DZ is the engine code saying it was built Jan 23(01 23) at the Flint(V) plant. The rear is a 12 bolt posi 3.73(BU) gear ratio built on Jan 21(01 21). The transmission is a Muncie 4 speed built Jan 14th 1969(9A14). You'll have to check the stamping on your trans to tell if it's an M20,M21 or M22. Look for an A,B or C after the (9A14) on the transmission itself. The 133 tells you a couple of options like power disc brakes, AM radio and maybe power steering, but I don't have that information in front of me. Check www.camaros.org for that information. You need to check the front pad of your engine on the passenger side just in front of the cylinder head and look for the V0123DZ stamped into it. If that matches, then it looks like you may have the original engine. The VIN should be stamped either up there or down near the oil filter in the rough cast area that goes up and down. Very hard to read the VIN from that area. Let us know what you find on the engine. Also post the trim tag information from the fire wall if you can.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

COWL TAG SAYS...6912437NOR232314...727 5151...O1C I AM CONFUSED
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 00, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech

COWL TAG SAYS...6912437NOR232314...727 5151...O1C
69 - Model Year = 1969
1 - General Motors Division - 1 = Chevrolet Motor Division
2 - Car Series - 2 = Camaro
4 - Engine - 4 = 8-cylinder (3=6-cylinder)- only on vin, doesn't apply to trim tag.
37 - Body Style - 37 = coupe (67=convertible)
NOR - Assembly Plant - N=Norwood, Ohio (L=Los Angeles)
232314 - Norwood body number assigned to that body by the Fisher Body plant. It helps track the car through the plant. This number will not match the VIN.

727 - Interior Trim Code - Ivory standard
51 51 - Body Color Code - Dusk Blue (solid color car, no vinyl or different color top)

01C - Build Date - 01 = Jan., C = 3rd week of month
guess this is too soon for an X code (not sure when the first ones were) if it's a Z and had an X code it should be:
X33 - Style Trim Group with Special Performance Equipment (Z28) or X77 - Base car with Special Performance Equipment(Z28)

sound like you have a Z/28, dusk blue with ivory standard interior made in Jan. 1969 with the equipment options Jeff H posted.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode