Carburetor or FI Supercharging - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I have a 69 Camaro BB with an 850 holley. I'm thinking about getting a conversion setup on my camaro, since I plan on also putting on an ATI Procharged supercharger. One of those conversion setups from Holley with the rails for Fuel Injection. Or should I just get a new carburetor setup for a centrifugal supercharger. FI is expensive but offers great advantages and looks cool.

Carb or FI? What do you guys think, especially you guys with centrifugal superchargers on your first generation camaros?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 02:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I just converted my Cobra to EFI with the Fel Pro computer. I'm also putting my Pro Charger on my 72 Camaro 406. It is for now a blow through carb set-up as I already have the carb dialed in, but eventually will be converted to efi.

I did a lot of research before purchasing the Fel Pro unit. It is considered the best by every tuner I called; it is also the most expensive at $1895. for the computer, harness, and sensors. This does not get you the manifold, throttle body, fuel rails, pump, regulator, filter, etc. The whole set-up is about $4000 but will do anything you ask it to.

If I didn't have the money for that one, the next best according to the tuners I spoke with would be the Accel DFI which is available from Summit complete with everything needed for less than $2300. It's harder to tune and is not altitude compensating (they have a fix but it doesn't work well) but once dialed in works very well. Everyone agreed the Holley system and Edelbrock Pro-Flo were not very good, mostly due to the computer they use. In fact the guy who helped me on the tuning has a couple of cars with the Holley and the Edelbrock systems that he is switching over to the Fel Pro controller.

Bottom line, if you have the money go with the Fel Pro first or the Accel with the Cal Map software; both work very well, the FP just does more and is much easier to dial in.

If you have an 850 already for about $350 or so Jones Carbs in Southern California is very familiar with what the Pro Charger systems need. They did mine and made a night and day difference in driveability. I would not suggest trying to modify the carb yourself; it needs a lot more done to it the ATI says it does. You can always go to EFI at a later date.

Jody
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

Another benefit of using the carb is that the atomization of the fuel at the top of the intake manifold acts as an intercooler. With EFI, the fuel is atomized just behind the intake valve, so you don't get the same effect.

My personal opinion, spend $350 to have Jones do the carb mods and then spend the $3,650 you saved by not buying EFI on making your car even faster, or better looking.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 9/01/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 10-31-2000).]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 08:57 PM
Senior Tech

I agree with Gheatly, I would get a Demon and some nitrous rather than go efi, or super charged.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 00, 04:13 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I agree with you on the carb Cornholio, but disagree on the nitrous. Go with the supercharger. The extra power is avaiable all the time. Nitrous power is only available when there's something in the bottle.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 9/01/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 00, 02:23 PM
Banned

Question

My 2 cents,

Anybody do any dealings with "Force" FI. I ran across them on the web the other day and their custom capabilities if they are for real look fantastic.
Would love a crossram Offy, Z-28 or Edelbrock TR-1 w/ FI injectors mounted just ahead of the of the port intakes on the top installed on my 406 sb. Put a 1000cfm throttle body on it and match a 1500 to 5500rpm solid cam. pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode