68 RS 327 heads - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

I am in the process of building up my 327 in a 68RS camaro. My goal is to get 375-400 HP out of the engine. A local shop said to start with a purchase of aluminum heads at a cost of 1800.00. Before I invest in that, what are my options here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 08:07 PM
Tech Team

I don't know if you need aluminum heads for the street. They ron hotter and they warp really easily. Unless you are running really high compression I would go with a nice set of steel head... s/r torker II's or vortecs or something like that. Don't think aluminum is necessary though. Good luck
Tim
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 06:50 AM
Tech Team

Cool

is the shop that recomended the heads going to sell them to you also ?? I agree with blazin68 you dont need alluminum for the street , a good set of iron heads with some good size stainless steel valves with be the ticket ,

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

You need to find a different shop. Edelbrock Perf RPM Alum. heads: $930 Trickflow 23 degree Alum. heads: $850 Trickflow Twisted wedge Alum. heads: $950 Air Flow Reasearch 190 or 195 Alum. heads $1250. AFR race ready 210 or 220 Alum. heads $1450. Brodix Track 1 $1250 etc. etc... obviously they are trying to rip you off. I do think aftermarket heads are the way to go. Iron or Aluminum. Although I am not impressed with stock SR torkers.

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech

Depends if your after torgue or horsepower, big runners will get higher rpm horsepower. While smaller will give you more torque but less flow at high rpm's. I had Darts 200 cc intakes on my 327 and man would that think wind up (how do you spell that). But low rpm torque wasnt there, until I got lower gears.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech

But they are right, dont get the alum. and find a machine shop. The casts are a lot more forgiving, and when you need work done to them. You wont have to find a specialty shop to do aluminum heads.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 00, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like cast heads may be the best plan for my application. If I install forged pistons that come up within .010 of the deck, any suggestions on the chamber size of head I should use? Again, my goal is 375-400HP.

Thanks

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode