Timing gear or chain - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm in the middle of winter prodjects one is changeing the timing chain I'm seriously considering the Danagear drive but havent had any experience with them
80Z28 383 stroker
350 auto 2500 stall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 04:59 PM
Senior Tech
John

One word; whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Seriously, gear drives are more accurate but come at the price of noise. They sound cool when one comes through at a cruise but for a daily driver might become a bit annoying. Personal preference item. It's your car.

John
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

how noisey are they I do drive it daily in the summer months.I've heard they sound like a bad power steering pump is this true

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 05:21 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Hollywood,
They sound like a blower belt/drive pulley whine. It is a medium to high pitch whine not like a power steering pump which groans more than whines (my opinion).
The other thing to consider is that a gear drive does transmitt crankshaft harmonics to the valve train. Which can lead to failure of the weakest parts.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Failuar were in the valvetrain crank or were?Are they that hard on your engine?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Hollywood,
I ran one in a big block Nova and I have one in my camaro now, It is not a garentee that you will have a failure in the valve train but it is more likely to happen then if you run a chain. My big block ended up breaking the camshaft itself. I have had friends whom have had stock rocker arms fail with only 1000 miles on them and they were new pieces. I am running one in a 355 now and have had it in my last motor, I am running a high dollar valve train (Crane and Lunati pieces) and I check eveything I can as much as possible.
I would not give up the gear drive for another chain in my car though, I like the whine to much and you get alot of looks!!!

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I appreciate the advice so far, I'm running crane roller tip rockers and springs, and summit hardened push rods. Whenever doing any type of engine work I don't skimp on my parts. I'd rather get the best now than take a chance.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 08:01 AM
Team Member
John

I think you'll be happier with a Cloyes True-Roller timing chain setup - bulletproof, no harmonics transferred to the cam, and no weird noises.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 11:06 AM

Hollywood:
I used to have a Jackson drive on a 355. It
came with a set of offset bushings(which might be helpful) and the attention was a
big ego boost. Loved the noise with a nice cam. I ran summit/comp cam valvetrain on Dart
sportsman heads for at least 30000 HARD miles
without problem. Motor still ran excellent when I sold.

------------------
mark mccollum
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

I had a Jackson Gear Drive in the engine that I recently replaced. People constantly wondered what was wrong with my motor, then would give me blank, unknowing stares when I'd tell them "gear Drive". It gave me no verifiable performance boost in my street driven car so I went with a double roller chain in the engine that's in it now. I've still got it though...thinkin' about putting it in my Sting Ray.

As an aside...a few years ago, they toured the Jackson factory on one of those TNN gearhead shows. They talked about some wire-wheel deburring process to quiet down the gears. They also sold a "noisy" set for those that prefer that sound. But as I recall they said the only difference between the two was that the noisy ones didn't get deburred. Oddly enough after going through one less machining process, the "noisy" one cost more.

------------------
'69 Garnet Red Convertible, Ivory over black, 350 w/turbo 400
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech

I have a pete jackson in my 68. I thought it was cool when I was 16, now it is a bit annoying. Also I have not had any valve train problems with it. So, if you like the noise, go for it. Just make sure you have a good radio to drown out the noise if you get sick of it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 01, 06:46 PM
Senior Tech

I also had a Pete Jackson, and I thought it SUCKED. It was to friken loud, half the time I would be turning the radio knob trying to turn it down.

Tuning your engine, forget about it. All you can hear is WWWWWIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEEEE. It was only on my car a week.

I seen in the new Summit cat. that the wet belt is coming down in price. Sorry cant give ya a quote.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 08:22 AM

I once watched the guys at the IN-n-OUT Burger drive through, fall to the floor when he hit the talk to button to ask for my order. Gear drives are annoying, not to mention a cop magnet. I agree with John-Z, Cloyes Hex-Adjust. Just think, all 302's from Traco Engineering have them, must be worth something.

Tom
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech

The "hex adjust" ones are nice, until you run a big cam and the vibration changes the adjustment. I know two people it happened to. My gear drive did not even make it past the engine break in before I changed it, and it was the quite type. My next motor, will be an open belt drive.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode