Need help wiring 8-track player - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 00, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I need help wiring an 8-track player. The player has three harnesses coming out of it. Two with 6 pin connectors and one with a three pin connector. I was able to get some sound out of it plugging in a couple of the wires to a speaker i had laying around. The sound was barely coming out, even at full volume. I have been desperately trying to find a wiring diagram, but can only find schematics in the usual assembly manuals, etc. Most of the info. doesnt quite pan out.
Im confused as to why there are three harnesses when i can get sound from just three wires......
Maybe external amp and additional speakers?
Any help would be appreciated.....

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 00, 02:36 PM

Cool

i take it that this is not an original 8-track. i don't know if it is the same but i have a third generation camaro with three plugs. you will have 8 wires just for the speakers(if you have 4 speakers)a positive and negative for each speaker. then there should be a power wire and a ground wire and either a plug or another wire for the antenna. you might be able to get a wiring harness from best buy or somewhere that carries car radios that with hook into the wires in the car and allow you to just snap in the plugs. but i am not sure if they make them for that old of a car. i just did this for my new cd player. hope this helps. let me know if this works or not.
P.S. if the wires are not hooked up correctly the power(volume) will be limited
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 00, 02:38 PM

by the way the wiring harness only cost about $15 at Best Buy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 00, 03:28 PM
Bill

MH,
Send an e-mail to [email protected] He is the radio "guru" over on the Chevelle page. He will probably want to know what brand 8 track it is and a model number but he should be able to help you.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 00, 04:39 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

can't help with the wiring, but i do have over 100 8-tracks in the attic. would love to get those converted to cd's. just can't buy some of the ones i had anymore and i used to record off the radio a lot in my young "robert plant look alike" hippie days.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 00, 11:34 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Cool

Is this an OEM delco 8 Track? The one that came witk my 67 Conv does not have the same connector arrangement. Mine is for a 4 speaker setup and there is one wire for each speaker. The other end of each speaker goes to chassies ground. Hope this helps!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 00, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Sorry i didnt specify what year, but mine is for a '69 camaro. It is the original Delco 8-track for that model....
Basically, i can wire the thing up, but just want to know where all the "extra' wires go. Also, according to the diagrams in the assembly manual, there is a "convector box" that is supposed to be mounted behind the dash and wired to the unit.....
Any help would be appreciated....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode