Fuel injection - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

I am building a '69 camaro and I plan on building a 383 for it. I want to fuel inject it, but I am torn on which way to go. A friend injected his 72 bronco with the parts coming from a junk yard. It works well for him, and he is planing on doing the same to his 66 mustang. I was considering the Edelbrock Pro Flo EFI System from Summit, but I could save a bunch of cash if I could find a good donor car to rob the system off of. It will be my first time playing with fuel injection so the Summit kit might be better because the parts would be new, and it comes with everthing so I wouldn't have to worry about not getting all the little parts off of an old car. Is the Summit system good or should I go the cheaper route. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech

Inspeccter,

I saw some posts in the past which indicated that none of the reasonably priced stuff was very good; then I saw a guy who had the Holley TBI system who liked it a lot. Some folks have mentioned ACCEL and Force-EFI as having decent, but expensive, setups. Also, I ran across tpi specialties (www.tpis.com), which got a recommendation from a book on tpi swapping and someone on this board.

On any TPI system, I think you'll have to run a return fuel line and an external, electric fuel pump. If you use a junk yard system, make sure it's a mass air flow vice speed density system. The earlier systems were mass air flow and respond better to modifications. Any Chevy TPI book will tell you what year they changed. I don't remember and it was the library's book, not mine.

Good luck, I'd love to know what you decide and how it works out.

Steve Laabs
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 10:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Hi!! I think I'm the guy who likes the Holley TBI system. Assuming you have a laptop, you can't go wrong with either the Holley or Edelbrock injection systems. The problem with a factory system is tuning. It is what it is, unless someone burns you a new chip. and they gotta guess to do that. At least with the Holley digital interactive system, the system and a laptop gives you a built-in dyno, you can watch it as you drive, and adjust as you need to. The other systems mentioned are great, if not better, but pricey. Do you really want a non-adjustable system with an intake manifold that can barely take 350 cudes to 5000 rpm?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

The Edlebrock system comes with a calibration module so you don't need a laptop in order to tune. I don't know if the Holley does or not. I definitely like the idea of being able to tune the after market systems compared to fixed factory system. Thanks for the replies
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

You may want to keep your eyes open for the factory LT1 engines. You can often find an engine with all the electronics for under $3000. You'll most likely need to freshen the engine up, but it's a sweet engine and the fuel injection setup is good for 400-450 hp. Most of the aftermarket TBI setups are only good to around 350 hp, so with your 383, you might not be able to use a TBI if you're going to make over 400hp. Just something to think about. You might want to consider a roller cam too.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Planned on the roller cam.......didn't think about the LT1 though. thanks for the input
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 04:34 PM
Senior Tech

In case you interested. Accel makes an aftermarket computer and harness for both tpi and lt1-4 engines. You can use a laptop to program it. You can probably score the tpi manifold and sensors for about $200-300 maybe even less if you search the classified ads. The accel part of the system costs about $800.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech

on ebay there is a complete tpi setup that is currentyly going for $202 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=536664515
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode