small block headers - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

OK,I'm finally going to break down and remove the old stock exhaust manifolds from my SB 67. Has anybody been here before? I'm not sure if shorty block huggers or long primary headers are the way to go. My car is
stock except for under the hood, but it isn't a hot rod. Which headers fit best around power steering gearbox? Do long primary headers fit without modifying firewall with large sledge hammer? Who knows their stuff on this issue? many thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 04:06 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

All I know is what I have experienced on my 67,with a 327 in it.I put Dynomax jet hot coated full length headers on last year.I am pretty much in the same boat as you.I have a very stock looking car,but I wanted the extra performance from the headers.I just bit the bullit and installed them.I figured I can't hide headers,so I had the JHC silver finish put on them.BTW,the jet hot tech guy told me that thier colored finishes will scratch easier than the silver,otherwise I would have gone with one of the more "stock" looking colors.
I had to whack a big dent in mine to clear the gearbox.I just pulled my engine out last week,so I am sending them back to have them re-coated for free.This subject came up a few weeks back (on the Chevelle site I believe)if you have your own headers,and go the JHC route,it is a good idea to install them first,to check for clearence,then send them in for coating.This is a hassle,but otherwise,like me,you run around with scratched up headers.Or if any one knows of a set that will fit without denting them,you could go that route also,I heard the Hookers fit very well.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching, 4X4 CHEVY TRUCK
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

The Hooker headers fit with no problems. I put them on my 69 small block with Muncie 4-speed. The reverse lock-out lever had already been removed from my car, so I didn't have a problem there. However, it looks like there could be some interference there.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Does your car have A/C?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CarlC:
Does your car have A/C?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No and I should have mentioned that in my message. It is a convertible, with power steering and power glide.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech
Drake

Wink

If it's any help,thats exactly what mine is.I took out the PG and put in a TH350 last fall though.

------------------
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

67drake,

You did not mention what size primary tube you are running, but by the description that 9teen is giving is sounds like a 1 5/8" diameter tube will be sufficient. It will enhance torque and have less clearance problems than a larger size. I agree, hammer them first then spend the money to have them coated.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 08:03 PM
Senior Tech
Drake

Wink

Yes,they are 1 5/8".Now for a real trip.I called the JHC customer service dept. today,after my first post,just to arrange my shipping,and to let them make a note that they were on thier way.The service guy tells me "You damaged them when installing them,it's not covered under our warrenty."!!I told him "B.S.,I asked for a set of headers that would fit without having to dent them,and these wouldn't fit with out the dent!" I called the JHC tech line BEFORE I ordered these because this was a concern of mine,and was told that if they needed to be "tweaked" with a hammer,to just send them back for a free re-coating.I got my way,they agreed to re-coat them,but after going through this today I would tell anybody who goes with JHC to test fit first,then have them coated.This is why it also pays to keep track of names of salespeople you get info from on tech lines.If you have a problem down the road with a product,it seems like you have more leverage if you say "I talked to Joe,and he said..."I always keep my notes!

------------------
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 00, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 67drake:
Yes,they are 1 5/8".Now for a real trip.I called the JHC customer service dept. today,after my first post,just to arrange my shipping,and to let them make a note that they were on thier way.The service guy tells me "You damaged them when installing them,it's not covered under our warrenty."!!I told him "B.S.,I asked for a set of headers that would fit without having to dent them,and these wouldn't fit with out the dent!" I called the JHC tech line BEFORE I ordered these because this was a concern of mine,and was told that if they needed to be "tweaked" with a hammer,to just send them back for a free re-coating.I got my way,they agreed to re-coat them,but after going through this today I would tell anybody who goes with JHC to test fit first,then have them coated.This is why it also pays to keep track of names of salespeople you get info from on tech lines.If you have a problem down the road with a product,it seems like you have more leverage if you say "I talked to Joe,and he said..."I always keep my notes!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, if I go with the long primary headers and they need to be "tweaked", do you work the steel hot or cold? In other words, doesn't cold working steel (whacking it with a big hammer)weaken it more than hot working (controlled heat and quinch)would?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 00, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

When I spoke with Jet Hot last year, they said to test fit them before sending them for coating. I'm surprised they told you that you could send them back.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 00, 07:20 AM
Tech Team

Cool

The only one I found that fit my 67'rs w/AC were Hooker super comps. 1 5/8" tube full legnth. A tight fit around evap. box but look, sound and perform perfect. Block huggers don't actually perform like a full legnth header.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 00, 09:39 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

I also want to add,if you haven"t figured it out,that I got mine directly from JHC.So I never had a chance to test fit mine.This is why I was concerned about them fitting correctly.
As far as the heating up goes,maybe your right,but I didn't think of it.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode