Rework Muncie 4 speed - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

How much do you think it would cost to rebuild a Muncie 4 speed?

Thanks,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech

Chris, there is a guy on Team Chevelle that goes by the username of DZ AUTO and his e-mail address is [email protected] he is in Mustang , Okla and repeatedly tells anyone with muncie problems to e-mail or call him. I don't know too much about that area, but the two of you might be able to get together and fix it.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
There are no strangers here, only friends you haven't met.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 04:30 PM
Rich253

There is a site on the web called www.gearzone.net They sell Muncie rebuild kits for about $155. Of course that's just a basic kit. If you need gears or any other major parts that aren't included in the kit, I think those start to add up pretty quick.
Rich

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech

I just had my M-20 totally rebuilt by a shop and it cost me $1,100. This included all labor, 4th gear and my driveshaft balanced. I was told later that I paid about $350 too much.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 02:41 AM
Tech Team

I'm looking to get my M21 rebuilt , but alot of people say the rebuild parts are made over seas and are of inferior quality. Anyone research this?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I have over 500 lbs of torque in my 69 camaro now and might add some more in the future. If anything I would probably want to go with a T-10 or tremec, huh?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 06:24 AM
Kevin

jacksz28, yes there are quality issues with overseas (and some US parts) I bought a rebuilt unit that had to be rebiult again due to crap (cheap) parts used during the 1st rebuild. You get what you pay for.

SSdanny69, don't feel too bad, I spent more (I won't say how much, I'm too embarassed)
But Jerry MacNiesh rebuilt it the 2nd time and he made sure I knew the costs upfront before I OK-ed the work and I am very happy with the result. I'd rather pay more for it to be done correctly (I had to replace every gear except for reverse) then cut costs on an important item. Jerry was great a keeping the costs down to a reasonable level. If I had it done at a "transmission shop", I'm sure the costs would have been higher. Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 00, 09:48 AM
427L88

Guys, I had my M20 and now the old M21 done by the same shop. Best in the East. The M20 needed little else than new brass rings, bearings. That rebuild cost me $275. The M21 is a bit more hosed as I pushed the ol L88 through it on slicks. But even with a few parts I would think it wont run more than $400.

They only use the best parts and yes, many are junk. You can buy a kit for $150, or email Kenny,[email protected] Old Man Engineering is the shops name. They're in Buffalo NY and during NOV you get a 25% winter discount. Might be worth the shipping. They said about $35. They do mostly roundy round work so they ship all over.

$1100!!!! Unless its a numbers deal, I would have bought a brand new ST10 from Richmond.

I'll be selling my new M21 for $800.Tops.

Procharged, I run about the same numbers through an M20, heavy Chevelle (3450) and only 3.55's ( lower gears help parts live). I think you;re OK unless slicks and 1320s are frequent, then yes, do an ST10. In fact the guys I just referred you to made the same recommendation to me. Actually, first he said a Rich5 and 3.08's. And if $$ weren;t an issue that IS the way to go.

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 11-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 11-02-2000).]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 00, 05:11 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>They do mostly roundy round work so they ship all over.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the hell is roundy round work?

Dave
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 00, 03:03 AM
Senior Tech

Circle track racing!

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
There are no strangers here, only friends you haven't met.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 00, 03:37 AM
Senior Tech

Old Man engineering are very good. Helped me out before. They used to have a shop in Charlotte also. Not sure if they still do.

------------------
Jay 69 SS-350
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 00, 04:14 AM
427L88

Jay, they shut down that operation ( I think Kenny's son ran it) and now do everything up here.

Hey, I didn't say the guy is perfect, hmm lets see, NC, Buffalo, NC, Buffalo, WHATTYA NUTS!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode