aluminum heads...paint or not? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

i've decided to go with the eddlebrock RPM set up on my 327, but want that stock look. would i be crazy to paint them orange so they match the block? opinions? everybody's got one!

thanks!

------------------
original '69 RS 327 convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 03:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I wouldn't paint them, they aren't going to look stock painted or not.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech

I painted mine..they look great.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech

oh....by the way..unless u get real close..they do look stock.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 03:50 PM
MHR
Micky

Dont do it. Alum. heads look super.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 00, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech

I painted mine plus the manifold and the tall plain stamped aluminum valve covers. The car is parked outside, and I don't want anyone to know what it has unless they look very hard. Plus I like the sleeper look.

Steve R.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 03:00 AM
Senior Tech

One of the nice things about aluminum heads is the heat transfer. You may lose that if you paint them.

Wasn't there a thread here a while ago about painting heads and/or intakes? Might want to run a search.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 04:15 AM
Tech Team
will

yeh i remember that thread mark. wasnt it paint the bottom of the intake black and leave the top natural? that way the black would absorb the heat, and the silver on top would dissapate it quicker? well i think thats what it was about.

------------------
Black 82 Z28 t-top, 350 w/ TH350
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech

Actually, you want a polished surface on the bottom of the manifold, so it doesn't absorb the heat from the oil, and a black surface on the top so it emits the absorbed heat from the oil and water to the surrounding air.

On the last post, David Pozzi made a good point about Vizard's book stating that the manifold's top surface should be polished in order to eliminate the cool intake air from being heated by the surrounding environment. This is true for a drag car. In a most drag applications, the engine really has no heat built in it, so the water and oil have not had a chance to heat the manifold completely, and there is enough volume of fuel/air at WOT to cool the intake significantly. However, in a street application, the water and oil are very hot, and the manifold has only part-throttle fuel/air moving through it. In the case of an aluminum manifold, the heat created by the water and oil needs to be dissipated into the atmosphere as quickly as possible to keep manifold temps down. Therefore, you need a surface on the top of the manifold which will dissipate heat quickly. A polished manifold WILL NOT do this, so painting the manifold black will help since black emits heat faster than other colors. In fact, in a street application, cooling fins on the top of the manifold, much like a heat sink in an amplifier, would help dissipate this heat (but it wouldn't look good).

The bottom line to manifold coatings/colors is you have to take into account the temperature gradient of the manifold and surrounding air. If the manifold temp is much higher, you need to dissipate the heat into the air, so a black color will accomplish this. In a race environment, where the manifold could be cooler than the surrounding air, due to the evaporation of large amounts of fuel, the manifold could be thermally coated to eliminate any heat transfer into the surrounding air. The ideal situation in a race engine would be to thermally coat the inside of the intake ports and the bottom of the manifold.

I know this is off the subject a bit, but I don't think painting aluminum heads will hinder the heat transfer enough to cause a concern. I know the Edelbrock heads on my '69 will be painted, because I like the sleeper look, too. Of all the aluminum heads on the market, I think the Edelbrock heads are the hardest to discern from stock heads when painted. They don't have a lot of machined logos/surfaces on them, and look very close to stock when painted. Take care.

Shane

------------------
69 SSRS Frame-off Resto
81 Z-28 377ci Drag Car
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 06:41 AM
Tech Team
will

yeh thats right 69ssrs, sorry i had it backwards.

------------------
Black 82 Z28 t-top, 350 w/ TH350
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 00, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech

The cooling differences between painted vs. unpainted will be minimal on the street. I'd leave them with the natural Aluminum finish, they look great. I have a set of AFR's and they look great without. RockyMtnRacer has the performer RPM's with the natural finish and they too look great. Besides, it you get tired of aluminum, then paint them.

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 00, 09:55 AM
427L88

Thumbs up

Jordan, I'm the freak who painted an RPM mani on my 396 cause most folks assumed it was a stock mill . Now that is cool.

Heat transfer on alum heads IS NOT a good thing so I say shoot 'em orange.

And for the record, my tripower intake and alum L88 heads are mirror polished. Schweet but hard to maintain.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 00, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

orange, it is. i might even keep the stock exhaust manifolds, instead of going with headers, but that's another story. stock (looking) is a good thing!

jp

------------------
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 00, 04:17 AM
427L88

Hmm, yes I agree, but JetHot coated headers don't detract IMO and with that cam/heads/ brother, you want that mouse to breathe.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 00, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

that's what i've been told. the guy doing the engine work says it's a waste of money to put all the work into the top end and choke it with the stock exhaust manifolds...but the guy doing the resto says headers detracts from the original look too much at shows....hmmmm. power IS king, i guess.

jp

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode