67/68 identification - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Question

I know the way to identify these two cars are by looking at the 2 piece windows vs the 1 piece in the 68. But Ive heard another way is the tailights! I thought a 67 had the reverse lights under the rear bumper and a 68 's were next to the tailights. Now people tell me no!! Whats the difference with tailights?

------------------
John-Bright Blue Metallic 1989 Pro Touring RS,Full Hotchkis Suspension,Baer Brakes,Competition Engineering Sub-Connectors,Flowmaster,Hypertech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 01:51 PM

Okay, you are right. The tail lights are different. the difference is actually in the reverse lights you were right.On one the reverse lights are in the bumber and in one they are next to the brake lights. I'm just not sure which is which. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

-Bobby

PS: Check your EMAIL
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I know, why two different tailights in the same model year??

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Reverse lights under the bumper are for RS optioned cars for 67-9. A 67 car will have a different tail light housing than a 68. The 68 housing is split vertically in the middle while the 67 is not. From the side of the car the 68 will have no windwings but will have side marker lamps. Grill work differs from 67-8 as well. A good catalog with pictures will help outline these differences.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 02:42 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
There are no lights mounted in the bumper on a 1st gen camaro! All 3 years have backup light mounted in the valance below the bumper on RS models ONLY! The '67/68 non-RS tail light housings had brake, running and backup lights in them. The '67's are slightly different than the '68's. If I recall the '68 had more chrome on them!

------------------
...DjD
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

Not really important,but,I got a good laugh today when I saw this one.I was at the parts store looking over the Chiltons manuals.On the cover of the first gen Camaro manual there is a picture of a ragtop RS Camaro,but it just didn't look right(seeing as I have a 67RS ragtop myself).It was a 68(no side vent windows)with a 67 SS hood,and 67 RS front end.It just suprised me that Chiltons would have a pieced together car like this on thier cover.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching, 4X4 CHEVY TRUCK
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 00, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

How is a 67 SS hood different than a 68 SS hood? The 68 SS350 hood was the same as the 67. The 68 SS396 hood was different than all the 67 SS's and the 68 SS350's.
Ron

------------------
95 Z28 Convertible 6 speed, 70 Chevelle SS 396, 66 Nova SS 327 M21
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 00, 07:15 PM
Senior Tech

I thought the SS hood from 67-69 were the same. I thought the difference was with the inserts.

Steve R.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Wow some of these posts are pretty far out. 67 had the vent window,68 did not. 68 had side marker lights,67 did not. rs (z22 option all 1st gen. years) had the backup lights below the rear bumper and front directionals/parking below in the valance, as opposed to in the grill for the front and in the tail light assemblies for the rear. Wider trim on the rockers for the rs. Rear end on the 68 had staggered shocks the 67 did not (wheel hop problems so it was changed)68 also had trim below the side windows. 67 did not. Camaros never had the lights in the bumpers. 67 was never sold with front/rear spoilers.
The ss hood was the same all three years. Only difference was the inserts. Finned inserts were used in 67, 68/69 had the fake velocity stacks (thats what I call them). However, the finned inserts were used for more than a few months on the first 68's. The cowl hoods were not an option until 69. In addition Z28s for 67/68 came with the base hood. I am not sure that if in 69 if a Z was ordered you automatically got the cowl hood or not. A true .25 cents worth (inflation).

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/sixt7ssrs/
IM - sixtsevnss
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Nope, all 67 SS's and all 68 SS350's had the finned inserts. 68 big blocks and all 69 SS's (both small and big block) got the square style inserts except where the cowl hood was ordered. The cowl hood was an option even on the Z28 and was also availiable on ANY 69 camaro. Yes, the 67-68 Z28's got the flat hood, the cowl hood wasnt availible until 69.
Ron

------------------

[This message has been edited by ToocoolZ28 (edited 03-05-2000).]
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 07:16 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Nope, I know the 68 and up ss had the 4 square inserts, finned for the early 68 ss like the 67s, did not matter if it were small or big block it was part of the ss option. Unless ordered with the "super scoop" option in 69, ie: cowl hood

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED http://www.geocities.com/sixt7ssrs/
IM - sixtsevnss

[This message has been edited by sixtsevnssrs (edited 03-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by sixtsevnssrs (edited 03-05-2000).]
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 07:35 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Well, I hope we can agree to disagree, I'm sure that im correct and you seem to be also. I guess we need another expert like Dave Birdwell or Kurt to settle this.
Ron

------------------
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Cool

I'll put a buck on it.
How about this one, was the blacked out tail panel for any 396 or was it expressly for the 375 hp car? I always thought it was just the 375 hp car, but have heard others say it was all.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/sixt7ssrs/
IM - sixtsevnss
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

That one I've heard both ways. Every 1st gen Camaro that i've seen with the blacked out rear panel was the 375 hp. But I have seen 2nd gen 396-350 hp with it.
Hmmmm.
Ron
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 09:42 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Wink

What body colors didn't get the black painted tail?

------------------
...DjD
Topless'69
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode