small body hei - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

for those of you following my posts or that asked about it (thanks), i put my small body hei (stock point dist. converted to a hei module that uses an external coil)in the 396 last weekend. you can hardly tell it from the stock dist., the only dif is the hei module is mounted under the dist. plate on the pass. side and you really have to look to see it. performance seems to be up a bit, but the day before i took the old split fires out gapped at .35 and installed new autolight plugs gapped at .44. this seemed to help quite a bit. the idle is maybe a little smoother, but it wasn't running too bad before. installation was a snap except it ran for about 30 seconds and then quit. must of had a bad module. these use napa parts so i went to napa, got a new one and no problems since (i did blow out one of my brass plugs i used where the smog tube fittings were, so maybe my compression is up?). dave is going to refund me for the module and he called from calif. while we were fixing to fire it back up, so i have nothing but good things to say. was going to get it dynoed, but it's running pretty good now, so i my have to spend the money on a new riding lawnmower (if i could just figure out how to hook up a bush hog to the camaro, i could justify that tremec tko 5 speed) if you want more info, email me or post ?'s here.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 05:49 PM
David Pozzi

Mike,
Great looking Camaro!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 06:35 PM
Senior Tech

Question

Is that the style that David (Ignitionman) over on Team Chevelle builds? I know he has a smaller case H.E.I. distributor, they spoke about them on HorsePower TV.

------------------

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 00, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

that's it and that's who i got it from.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 00, 05:12 AM
Tech Team

Could you post his phone number? How long did it take to get? Does he stock them, or build to order?

Thanks.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 00, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

these are all build to order. unless he has one in stock, you will have to supply the core. i ordered mine when he was very busy and turn around time was 4-6 weeks. may be better now.
Dave Ray
DAVE's small-body HEI.s
11605 Waddell street
Whittier, California, 90606
(562) 699-6949
(562) 695-9199 (Fax)
[email protected]
be sure i tell him i sent you.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 00, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech

Guy's I just had to respond to this post. I had been looking for a hei for the 67 RS for a while but all the people I talked to said they had to dent the firewall to get one installed. Then I came across this post and the idea of a hei which is the same size as my current distributor sounded great, so I tried it. It installed in about an hour and took me about another hour to get the timing set (I don't have a good light). The car seems to idle a lot better and has better throttle response. It really seems to have made the car respond better. I guess I must have had a distributor which wasn't quite curved right. Anyhow I just wanted to say this seems to be the perfect hei for first gen camaro.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 02:16 AM

I must have missed the previous posts so forgive me for asking a dumb question. Is this small body hei using a old points distributor converted or using the late eighties style GM hei which has a small body. I would like to install a later model hei due to their simple looks inside (plus I have one thats mint and I'm cheap). Has anyone done this? Ignitionman could probably tell me whats involved. Where is he when you need him!? I have the large hei now but don't like how close it is to the firewall. I'm under the impression you are converting the older style points dist. Out of curiosity what does it cost roughly? Thanks
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 02:56 AM
Senior Tech

Question

Hey guys,

Does a larger HEI hit the firewall on a 69 small block? I have a GM crate motor with late model hei and I'm wondering if it will hit. Just trying to find out all the weird querks before installation.

------------------
Jay 69 SS-350
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Arrow

68SS396, it's the older "stock point dist. converted to a hei module that uses an external coil". not a later model hei. if you email Ignitionman he will give you a price list and even email you a pic of the finished product if you like. he makes 2, one with the hei and one for use with a msd box. keep in mind too that it will come balanced and curved for your set up already, so it's just a drop-in other than setting the timing. my gas mileage when from 10 to about 12-13 mpg, @ $2/gal. it will pay for itself pretty soon.
JayBird, if you search the archives you'll probably see what i did, that each car seems to be different. some slip in with no problem at all, others are a little too close for comfort, while still others have no way to fit without a little hammer time.
guess the assembly line had a wide tolerance for the exact position of the motor to the firewall.

[This message has been edited by mike brown (edited 06-13-2000).]
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 04:24 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

My ZZ3 HO 350 crate motor wouldn't fit in my 69 with the HEI so I went with an aftermarket electronic distributor.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/5/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 06:01 AM

Both my full HEI (as Mike and Rick installed) will. So will my MSD trigger conversion. They also clear tri-power, 2x4 intakes.

A word of caution on ZZ3,ZZ4, ZZ5 cams and crate engines and distributors, these crate engines and all GM small bolcks that use a hydraulic roller cam, need the ZZ series distributor gear, no matter what distributor, early, late, is used. The hydraulic roller cam distributor gears are treated with a process described by GM as "melonizing", their name for the treatment.

GM hydraulic roller cams are a different cast iron blend than regular flat tappet hydraulic GM cams, and this is why they need the different gear treatment. GM hydraulic roller cams are not made from steel, and should never have a bronze gear used with them.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 07:33 AM

Ignitionman, Do you have any experience with the newer style (late eighties) small cap hei's. I want to make one work. If I had a chunk of the harness that plugs into it I can't imagine it would be all that hard. It just seems like a fancier version of the large cap hei. Are there any wiring schematics around that would tell me what the few different leads are for? I don't have the money for a fancy conversion or a bunch of new parts. I have a newer distributor that is low mileage and mint that I would like to make work. I know its not ideal but it has to be at least as good as my current hei or better in the sense the coil is remote rather than on the cap. Any insight on the conversion?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 01:20 PM

Please don't refer to them as small body HEIs, they aren't. they are simplt a computerized trigger distributor, with HEI capabilities.

Unless you run a computer, there won't be any use for this distributor, as there isn't mechanical or vacuum advance, and all advancing curves are handled inside the computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode