headers and exhaust - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 01, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

I have a 69 camaro with 355 and TF G2 heads. This car has AC and PS and I need to find some headers that will fit. Does anyone have specific part numbers that work? Everytime I call to order I get mixed results as to what will work. I am looking more towards 1 5/8 and name brand is not highly important. Also on the muffler side, I want to place in factory spots and was wondering whether the mufflers need to be offset on either the in or out. Thanks in advance for any info.

Ric D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 01, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech

Alot of folks her like headers but I don't unless I'm going racing at the track. I have had nothing but trouble fitting them on a PS car besides replacing gaskets, wires, fingers burned, spark plug changes, etc. I would just leave the manifolds and get some 2.5 exhaust and Flowmasters or etc. They sound good on my rides without the headaches. Just my opinion.

------------------
68 SS 396
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 01, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech

Headman part # 65003 is the only one I could find that claimed they would work. I have these and worked fine on the pass. side I had to ding them a little on the driver side for the ps and for a bolt on the upper A arm. The only thing is they are 1-3/4, and had to get the small hex head bolts.

Shane

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 01, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech

The 1 5/8's Hedman's will work without dinging anything. I've done so successfully on a 69 with PS and A/C. My guess is, the Dynomax header will work as well because the tubes really hug the block...so much so, that spark plug clearance is an issue. I prefer the Hedmans...one man's opinion. On install, get the front end way off the ground and with the packaging still on the header, install from under the car.

For mufflers, I'd go offset in, offset out. This will keep the two pipes from the headers to the mufflers tucked close to the driveshaft and partiallly in the tunnel. Looks nice too. Offset-out will make it easier for your pipeman to run tailpipes.

Good luck.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

IS the pat number on the Hedman's 68270 or is it something else? This is one that they have said that it will and won't work? On the mufflers, do they still mount with original hangers? What about one of the Flowmaster complete systems?

Ric D
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 05:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

You don't mention what tranny you have but shorties are another option that will deliver most of the benefit you would like.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech

One thing you must remember on the trick flows is that the top of the exhaust port is raised but the bolt holes aren't. Make sure that the header tube doesn't cover the top of the port. When I put a set on my early Nova with the stock ram horn exhaust I had to gring quite alot of metal out of the top of the manifolds. Use the Felpro gasket they recommend as a pattern for the top of the port. Don't forget about the plug location I don't know about headers but with the ramhorns it was easier to get to the plugs.

[This message has been edited by oger (edited 07-13-2001).]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 01, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
Mike H

My 69 has a/c and power steering and the headers fit fine. They are Hooker #2451. I had to use the required A/C bracket for bolting the compressor to the header too.

you can see the pictures at http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionC...Camaro3-6.html

------------------
My '69 Camaro Convertible

[This message has been edited by mr69 (edited 07-15-2001).]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 01, 08:19 PM
Senior Tech

I dont have an answer, but just curious...did you go to skiatook schools and graduate in 1990? If your who I think you are, I went to school with you!

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 01, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Yes I went to Skiatook and just recently moved back.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 01, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech

I went with the Flowmaster complete system for my 69. Easy to install, and comes with everything. Can be purchased through Jegs or Summit. Part # FLO-17139 with Summit. Also comes with Delta-Flow mufflers. Awesome sound.

------------------
Jay
69 SS-350 4-speed
Hotchkis suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode