1968 rs convertible - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 01, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Talked to a guy sunday or monday about a 1968 rs convertible (Top ripped sitting in open, doesn't run) he had sitting infront of a fence shop (Something like that anyway.) He said that it wasn't for sale and he was going to put it into a shed down in florida. I don't know if he ment this or just said it because I am a kid (17). Three days later and 2 downpours later the car is still setting there. It makes me sick to just see the car set there and be destroyed. Would you all just advice me to let the car go or stop back in a few weeks and talk to the man again? Any ideas for the second time I talk to him? Car needs major work, probably worth around 1500 as it sits, if that.

All opinions are welcome,
Thank you in advance,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 01, 04:18 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Find out what the guy wants to do with it. Is it a family "heirloom" Convince him you want to put it back just like he would like to see it. Tell him you would appreciate any advice he could give you in the restoration.
In other words convince he would not be loosing a car, he would be gaining an enthusiastic restorer.
Good Luck
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 01, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Sounds like a good idea.

All I did the first time around was just asked him if he wanted to sell the car. He said no and that he was putting it in florida, I said thank you and left.

Thank you for the input,
Sean

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 01, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

to add I really don't think the car is a family heirloom, I looked at it before I had a chance to talk to the guy, and the hood has been changed to an ss hood (recently hood is in black, car is yellow.), a hurst Lancer shifter was installed at some point in the cars past (looks really old.) The man didn't say he was going to fix it, he said he was going to put it into a shed. I just can not figure out why.

I plan on talking to him again though.

Sean
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 01, 04:53 AM
Senior Tech

Sean - this is a two part reply. The first is I would POLITELY! stay in the guys face. Visit him every couple of weeks or once a month. Give him a laminated card you have made up with your name and phone number and that you want the Camaro. As the post above said, stay enthusiastic and positive. Show him how excited you are to bring this car back to life. Take pictures of finished RS's and show him where your dreams are headed. I can't tell you how many doors enthusiasm will open for you. And unless the guy gets super pissed, don't worry about hearing no. I am in sales and hearing no today does not mean you will hear no next week. Things change.
The second part of my reply is make sure this is the car you want. Many times a car that has been sitting like this one need so much work, you are better off spending a few thousand more for a good solid runner as in the long run, it's a better deal than this big restoration will be. Remember, there are probably 500-1,000 first gen Camaros for sale any given week. This isn't the only one out there. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

[This message has been edited by denverRS/SS (edited 07-12-2001).]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 01, 06:51 AM
Senior Tech

a few grand in cash helps out BIG-Time

John
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 01, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

To discribe the shape of the car. It is a 1968 rs convertible with a 327 ci motor and 4-speed manual transmission. Has a motor in it (don't know if original), has hurst shifter installed (Hole on drivers side can see through, hole is probably 6"x6"), top is got a big hole in it (from pine needles on the back of the car, I am assuming a small limb hit the top ripping it), has surface rust (that in a few spots may go a little deeper), appears to have all original sheet metal and may even be the original paint job. The odometer is setting on 88,000, probably has turned over at least once from the shape of the car. The car will more then likely need a engine and tranny rebuild, new top, new interior, new hood (has ss hood on it now), and new floor pans (if he lets the water set in it from the rain). The trunk bottom hopefully will not need to be replaced. All other sheetmetal should be able to be saved.

Another one of my drawbacks is I don't know exactly what to offer him. I really would like to get this car if at all possible.

Thank you guys for your help.
this is a great board.
Thank you all,
Sean
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have decided to not bother the guy about the car anymore. Although it would be possible for me to restore the car for what it is worth, I don't want to have to keep bothering the guy. I am just going to swing by his shop once again and talk to him about camaros in general and see if he knows of any in the area. I will tell him that if he does decide to get rid of his camaro to give me a call, and I will leave my phone number with him.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Sean
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 07:39 PM
Tech Team

From the sounds of it my friend that car woould be a serious undertaking. I agree with the above comments about investing a little more change into a car you know at least runs and wont fall into little chunks at the first bad Railroad crossing you hit. There are TONS of camaros out there for sale. and in need of different degrees of work. In my case I am not a driveline guy I do body and most interior type work. I know my limitations and am willing to learn new things but when I look for my next ride it will HAVE to run well to near perfect and I can do the rest with no issues. I can do engine work but I need a supervisor so I make sure it is done correctly.
My 2 cents

-MM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode