cooling - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 01, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hey whats up? well I have a quick question about my cooling. I have a 1991 Camaro RS with the 305 V8 and its a 5 speed, I was just wondering I put a 160 thermostate in it about 2 months ago and it still runs temp wise sometimes above 220 and I was just wondering if I could do anything that could make the engine run cooler and not get as hot while its idleing,
Thanks,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 10:00 AM
Team Member
John

Adam-

The thermostat won't make it run any cooler - it just regulates coolant flow; it will only run cooler with a cooler-rated thermostat if there's enough existing extra cooling capacity to reject more heat than it did with the original thermostat. From your description, your cooling capacity is deteriorating (probably due to the gradual buildup of scale and corrosion in your radiator, assuming the rest of the factory cooling system is still intact - seals, shroud, fan, clutch, lower hose not collapsed, etc.). If all of these are in place and working properly, chances are you need your radiator replaced or re-cored to restore its original heat rejection capability.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 01, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, see I'm moving out to California and I want to drive my car there but I am also scared that when I am sitting in a traffic jam my car will over heat, if I get a new radiator or get it redone, what temp should it be when its warm and at idle?
Thanks again,
Adam

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 11:04 AM
Tech Team

I have the same problem w/ my 87 z-28, but i'm curious, does your engine shut off when it gets hot? I've back-flushed the system, put in cleaner, changed the coolent, and changed the thermostat, but my problem persists. Are both electric fans supposed to always be running, or are they staggerd apart by heat range?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

well to answer your first question my car has never gotten hot enough to shut off so I don't know, I only know that if I have driven a lot in oneday not stop and I have to sit at a long stop light my temp gauge just keeps going up and finally my fan kicks in at around 250. I think electric fans only comes on when it absolutly has too atleast thats what mine does, well I hope I've helped you. you might try what the guy that responded earlier said to do that sounded like a good idea,
later,
Adam
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 03:16 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Adam,

I don't know much about the gen 3 computer but if it were a gen 4 I would guess you installed the 160 deg t-stat without telling the computer about it. Did the problem arise when you put in the t-stat or was that an attempt at fixing the problem... If you have AC you can turn it on to force the fan on and if that works it sounds like you need to adjust when the fan comes on!!

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 04:09 PM
Tech Team

or you could just hard wire the fan by grounding out the relay, my fan comes on when i start the motor. 86z28 my car hasnt gone over 160 this summer!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 01, 04:19 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Marky,

Carfull with those fans, they were not designed to run all the time. If you're gonna run them, keep an eye on them..

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 01, 05:13 AM
Senior Tech
John

I owned an 89 RS Convertible back in 1992 and the fan would kick on around 210 and shut back off at 195. I lived in LA and had to deal with traffic everyday. That car did have a weird habbit of shutting off every once in a while while sitting at a light. I don't think it was associated with heating though. Never figured it out. It always started right back up. The only time it ever had a cooling problem was when the air dam came loose and I took it off. I put it back on and it cooled off just fine. If you run a 160 thermo in it you just take away from the efficiency of the radiator... Sounds like you need to replace or recore the radiator like John said... Good luck

------------------
69 Z/28
69 Z11
www.camarogenerations.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode