Voltage regulator mounting - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Whitehouse, Texas, USA
Posts: 84

I am doing a ground up resto on my 69 Z/28, and trying to get everything back to original, and factory-looking. In several major resto parts suppliers catalogs, they list a voltage regulator mounting kit. It has three little thin bolts, and three rubber mounts. Problem is the voltage reg. on my car was not rubber mounted, and I can't find in the assembly manual that shows it to be rubber mounted. It looks like the holes in radiator support are only for three
small bolts, and these rubber mounts won't fit. Has anyone else run into this before? Was the orig. voltage regulator "really" rubber mounted? I know the drivers side radiator mounts are rubber, and this seems to work, but I can't figure out the voltage reg. deal. Anybody know?
Peace69Z/28 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: Valencia, CA USA
Posts: 107

They're not rubber mounted, my three Chevelles and a '69 Camaro are all directly mounted. The regulator uses the case as a ground so make the core support connection a clean one.
Kevin is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 04:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonesy's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,439

The kit you mention sounds like a kit to mount the wiper motor..

The voltage reg is mounted on the drivers side of the radiator support, towards the top.
It has 3 holes. On the left side there are 2 holes. The bottom hole should have a loop strap that holds a capacitor. The screws are hex head screw (I believe 5/16 wrench fits)and they are maybe 1/2 inch long, like sheet metal screws. There are no rubber mounts what-so-ever. I measured the top hole on the left side and it was 5 1/2 inches in from the edge of the support (where the 2 fender bolts are). and about 3/4 of an inch down from the top. The support should have these holes or dimples in it. If you need more help email me.

1969 Camaro RS/SS 350/4spd, Azure Turquoise (55-55)
Van Nuys Built 11B
currently being restored to showroom original
Jonesy is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Whitehouse, Texas, USA
Posts: 84

No, it's not the wiper motor mounts. I probably should have explaned this a little better. I have owned about 30 or so 69-70 Camaros and Chevelles over the years, and have never seen a rubber mounted voltage regulator. The mounting kit some of the resto parts houses sell list it for 67-69 Camaros. The mounts look almost like driver side radiator mounts, only smaller. Like Kevin said, I also think the reg. would need to be grounded, along with the capacitor. I just can't figure out why they even list these things in the resto catalogs. Seems kinda useless to me. Some vendors call them "rubber nuts". Maybe they have their years mixed up, I don't know. Mabe the people selling them are "rubber nuts".
Just wanted to see if you guys knew anything about this. Peace69Z/28
Peace69Z/28 is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech
mccorry's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Grove City, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,642

I have seen what you are talking about, Peace. I thought they were called "shouldered expansion nuts"? Anyhow, I checked my car tonight (pretty original) and it does not have these rubber nuts. Just screwed into the support....

mccorry is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 04:57 PM
Tech Team
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 45

They are called "well nuts". I frequently see them at hardware stores (e.g., ACE). They have an integral nut in the rubber mount.

They are shown on my assembly manual for '68
(UPC 6 B6). They also came on my car originally. Could be different for different years though.

Dan A is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Whitehouse, Texas, USA
Posts: 84
Thumbs up

Ahhhhh. I looked in my 69 assembly manual, (UPC 6 B7), and it does not show the "well nuts"! Looks like they must be for 67-68 mabe, and not 69. They must have just had them mis-listed in the resto parts catalogs. I will sleep better tonite. Thanks!
Peace 69Z/28
Peace69Z/28 is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome