Power Steering Pump Question - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 00, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

When my '67 is standing still and I crank the wheel the power steering pump squals... only happens at stand still or VERY slow speed - if moving - no problem.

When I watch the pump the pulley seems to stop momentarily (thus the squal).

Does this mean I need to rebuild / replace? Haven't looked yet - is this numbered or date coded? How hard is rebuild - need a professional? If so - what's best way to find someone....

I've never had problems with a PS Pump before - so I could use some expert advice....

Thanks

Steve

[This message has been edited by Dobek (edited 11-02-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 00, 03:10 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Hey Steve....

Hows the belt tension and condition of the belt? If your in need of a new pump, its probably cheaper to get a rebuilt unit. I didnt see any date codes on mine when I glass beaded mine. I do believe the caps are different thru out the years tho.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 00, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech

Steve,

The GM pump gives so little trouble if I was you I would go to the wrecking yard and get a used pump. I have not had good luck with rebuilt pumps lately.

One might say that a early pump will be scarce used. The GM pump interchanges for many years, the things to watch for are; the big 1" nut where the line screws in can be for oring fitting, use the one out of your old pump it will fit. Under the big nut there is a spring and valve, use these out of your old pump also, as they match your car. Also if the can and return looks different use the orignal can on the used pump.

You can go to the local parts store and get a o-ring kit for the year of your car. You will need a special puller and installer for the pulley, unless it is a bolt on pulley, if it is, the replacement pump will need to be the same.

Upon assembly there are square o-rings, thick, and thin ones both come in the kit pay attention when taking it apart as to which are in it. Put these o-rings on the pump , with grease to hold in place, then installthe can.

The press reg under the big nut goes like this, spring, valve, then the big nut.

Larry

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 00, 07:55 PM
David Pozzi

It's just your belt. It's either bad or needs to be tighter.
It can be difficult to properly tension the PS belt.
If the pump wore out, it wouldn't be able to make pressure and would not be able to create a load on the belt unless something jammed inside.
They usually last 150+ miles, and then leaking is the problem.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 00, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech
William

You may have air trapped in the pump/lines. Check the AIM or Shop Manual for instructions on bleeding the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode