Aluminized exhaust - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I'm getting ready to replace my exhaust. I keep seeing 'aluminized' exhaust. Does this really make a difference. Are all aluminized pipes about the same or is there someway to weed out the trash from the worthy? I don't have a lift so I will probably just go to Midas of Meineke since I dont look forward to spending hours on my back. I want to make sure they dont say 'yeah, its aluminized' then sell me some cheaper plain steel pipes.

------------------
1970 mostly original
307,THM350
F41
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

You definately want aluminumized pipe. It doesn't rust. The aluminum coating also makes the pipes look like new longer.

When you look at the pipe, ask to see some with and without the coating so you can see the difference. They usually charge more for the aluminumized pipe, so pretend you don't know the difference and act dumb. Steel pipe is a darker silver, almost blue. Aluminum is brighter, more like a true silver. Also, they tend to put a heavy coating of oil on steel pipe so it won't rust until they put it on your car.

FYI, my aluminumized exhaust is 6 years old and still looks good. the aluminum coating does get scratched from road debris, so you'll get little rust spots here and there.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 03-07-2000).]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 07:58 PM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

I say definitely go with the aluminized pipe. gheatly is right, it dosn't rust. Regular steel pipes look like "rusty junk" after about a month or so if you don't paint them. I had a new set of aluminized pipes installed on my 70 Chevelle over 2 years ago, and they still look new. The only place they will rust is at the welds,if you weld them. A little VHT paint can be applied there. They do cost a little more, but well worth the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode