400 small block - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

hi my name is andrew and i was wondering if i would put a 400 sb in a 1987 camaro z28 without haveing to redo the chassis. and how much work is involved? I was also thinking of getting a new transmission a 700r4. if any1 has any reasons i shouldnt do this PLEASE tell me!!!i also found a 400 small block for sale already built with 400 GM 2 bolt block
New Elgin "cast steel" 400 crank (std,std)
Stage 3 superstock 5.7 rods with ARP "wavelock" rod bolts
Hypereutectic flatop pistons (10.3:1 comp)
Sealed Power rings
Hydraulic flat tappet camshaft (.500 lift,292 duration)
Heavy duty Cloyes timing set
Michigan 77 bearings
High volume oil pump
Fel-Pro gaskets
World Products "Dart II Sportsman" heads
Hard seats and guides for unleaded or reg fuel
New 2.02" stainless intake valves
New 1.60" stainless exhaust valves
Screw in studs and guide plates
New Crane dual springs
New chrome moly pushrods
Crane roller rockers
New oil pan, timing cover and chrome valve covers
New GM harmonic balancer damper
New heavy duty flexplate (std trans flywheel extra)
Edelbrock Victor Jr manifold
Balanced, blueprinted, assembled and painted
all for $3500. is it worth it or should i just build it myself?

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech

Is this a used engine or a brand new shop built engine? The 400 sbc will drop right in place of a 305 (assuming tat is what the car already has in it)...if you start with a v-6 car you will need different mounts but nothing major. A v-6 car will have weaker brakes and suspension and will definately need upgraded with the kind of power you propose. I also highly suggest subframe connectors to keep the car from twisting, and you'll probably find that the rear end wont last long behind that motor if it is driven hard very often. If the car is a v-8/auto trans car, then it already has a 700r4 in it...but at the least it will need upgraded to handle all the extra torque. A v-6 700r4 wont bolt up...even if it did it would die in short order. I would also suggest getting the biggest radiator you could find for the car. Pay attention to the details and you will have a real beast on your hands...however, I see no way you would ever pass inspection (if I remember right, new jersey is pretty strict). Just my .02

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 07:32 AM
Senior Tech

There are only a couple of issues I am aware of in swapping a 400 for any other small block is possibly with the harmonic balancer.

First, I know that on '69 Camaros the larger 400 balancer can interfere with the swaybar. This requires you to space the sway bar down and/or the motor up slightly. I have no idea if this will be a problem with a later model car.
Second, my block did not have the boss for the clutch linkage drilled and tapped, which required me to do so.
Third, the starter bolt pattern may or may not match your starter. Mine didn't - again requiring a little drill and tap work.

Alos, don't forget the balancing issues which require a 400 specific flywheel if using a manual tranny.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

my car has a v8 305 it is automatic since it is automatic does that mean that i will have to worry about using a specific flywheel?The engine is brand new never used. What would i do to keep the sway bars down to fit the block in.? i am only getting a new transmission because i think the guy beat the **** out the car its in decent shape but the transmission is slipping so you think the 700r4 is a good choice i only like it because of the gear ratios it has and the fourth gear. thanks for the replys Andrew
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

The 400 uses a large 168 tooth externally balanced flywheel and I think your car uses the smaller flywheel, make sure you have room for it and the starter that goes with it.
Ron

------------------
95 Z28 Convertible M6
70 Chevelle SS 396,
66 Nova SS 327-350HP M20
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech

Besides the obvious balancing issues, I think that the flexplate will cause problems...I dont know from experience but I believe that the 305's use a smaller flexplate for the 700r4 than the standard external balance 168 tooth flywheel that a 400 uses...and they use a downsized starter. I have read that a lot of people end up getting weights added to the stock 305 flexplate so that it matches the stock 305 starter and still has the external balance required by the 400. I would definately investigate that. I am currently looking for my old hot rod mag that has a article on swapping in a 383 in place of the stock 305...it had the same issues mentioned above. When I find it I will let you know.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech

On my car the balancer contacted the sway bar. I cut spacer blocks - 3/8" I think - and inserted them between the sway bar bsuhing mounts and the frame rail. I also slipped a couple of flat washers under the motor mount frame mounts. This did the trick for me by moving the motor up slightly and the sway bar down. Your car may be different.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech

One thing I found out, make sure you get a 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird oil pan. If not, you will never get a y-pipe to cut over. These pans give room between the sump and crossmember.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode