Racing gas - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a simple question that I don't know the answer to: is all racing gas leaded? There are several places in town that sell racing gas, but only one has leaded written on the pump. I assume it's all the leaded but I wanted to be sure it's all the same before I start using it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 02:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I believe the highest unleaded racing gas is rated at 100 octane, although some rate it at 101-102. If it's the 108-114 variety it is leaded.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 03:57 PM
Bill

buckeye,
Ask what brand it is ??? If the person selling it does not know, I don't know if I would want to buy it from them. Sunoco has a 104 octane unleaded fuel. I have not seen anything higher. I would try to stick with one brand if at all possible, makes tuning a lot easier.
Also, if they are pumping it directly into your car gas tank, it is probably unleaded. I am pretty sure it is illegal to pump leaded gas into a car. I know here in Maryland they will not pump into your car, only into a container. But that may have to do with the fuel taxes. If it goes directly into the car there are a lot more taxes involved.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

The pump with the "Leaded" sign says 110 octane. I believe the sign also says "Liquid Lightening", I'm not sure though. Pumping directly into the car is how it's done there. Has anyone used it? I have been using CAM 2. Anyone have an opinion of that?

Thanks again
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 00, 04:01 AM

Cool

Hey all... around here (Georgia) West Central.. Some of the Amoco's have 114 (Cam2) it is carried near the race tracks...
It says on the pump that this fuel is not to be used in a street driven car. that's all the warning it has around here. Those are mostly in towns that have a drag strip or dirt track near the Gas Station. I ran 114 oct. in my 68, it is all leaded when it gets that high but that's what gives it the high octane, the lead. It will not hurt your vehicle if it is a carb. intake and no computers...but you wouldn't want to use it on modern day engines that have injection and computers to tell when to give fuel.

Fire... aka Seth Denney......
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 00, 04:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Bill,

The local Trick Racing distributor claims there is nothing unleaded rated higher than 100-102 octane, but I have not seen Sunoco. I always wondered if he was correct; he's the only game in town.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 00, 04:04 PM
Senior Tech

CamcoJb, the dude is correct for pump gas, but you can get the 110-112 octane or as it is called "grape juice" around here (since its purple)or CAM2 , and it comes in both flavors. leaded and unleaded. although the $7.14 per gallon will kill your wallet.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 06-20-2000).]
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 00, 04:41 PM
Banned

Buckeye,

I've got a fairly complete list of "racing gasolines" at work in my "useful tips" file. I made it up just for this type of question. If I remember it tomorrow, I will bring the list home and post it. Hey, I might just e-mail the whole thing to myself at home and post a bunch of "interesting" stuff yhat pertain to fuels and octane. Stuff like a good cheap octane booster and such. pdq67

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 00, 04:41 PM

Cool

$7.14 a gallon?!!??!! if it was that high I probably wouldn't get it either. Down here in GA you can get the juice for about $3.41 a gallon, maybe $3.50 but that is the highest I have seen for 114 octane....
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 00, 04:41 PM

Cool

$7.14 a gallon?!!??!! if it was that high I probably wouldn't get it either. Down here in GA you can get the juice for about $3.41 a gallon, maybe $3.50 but that is the highest I have seen for 114 octane.... Then once you go to talking about Methanol that's a whole new ball game..
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 00, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech

Fireman1, where do you get your high octane
fuel? I live near Douglasville and I am looking to buy some racing fuel too......
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 00, 06:35 PM

Cool

Bob,

You ever hear of a small town named Whitesburg? It would be west of you on Hwy 5. (Towards Alabama) If you go to Whitesburg, at the round-a-bout (screwed up way of not wanting a four way stop) take a left towards Newnan. There is an Amoco on the right before you cross the Chattahoochie River. It is at that station. 114 octane.
A friend of mine usually gets his in the 55 gallon drum. I'll ask where he orders it from. BTW also like I said it will have the warning "Not for use in street driven cars" but if you pump it in them, they haven't said anything to me yet about it. I run every tenth tank of that stuff, really cleans it out and lets it run at a cooler temp. it sounds strange but it does.

Seth
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 00, 06:39 PM

Bob,

My father and myself are building a subdivision in Powder Springs. I know you said you are near Douglasville but your name is in Powder Springs, let me know a round a bout area that you live in and I might could bring some in passing if you don't want a ton of it. .....

I work at the fire dept tomorrow (Wednesday) so I won't respond til thursday....

Seth
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 00, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Talking

pdq67,

I hope you get to post your info. because I use octane booster sometimes too.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 00, 09:26 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
cam2-purple 3.50 per gal-- 108 octane
cam2-red 7.00 per gal--114 octane
here in baltimore ,Md.

------------------
My68CamaroThis CamaroNet - the Webring for the 1st Generation Chevrolet Camaro site .

Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode