230 to 327 changes what under the hood for me? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Will

Garage
I'm changing my stock 230 for a mild 327 out of a 68 Camaro. I need to change my heater core and wonder if there is no difference in 6 cyl. as compared to small block. Also are there any alternator changes I should be making to go from the 230 that has no accessories to operate. (No A/C or other power items) I also am wanting to put power steering in this car and the 327 I have is not equiped with accessory brackets. Here's the stupid question, are any of the 230 brackets interchangeable and if not should I be trying to find brackets off a 68 car or can I use any brackets off of any small block equiped car and not have to worry about things?
Is there a certain type of power steering pump or steering box for that matter that I can use that will be a relatively easy bolt in?
My car is a 68 Camaro Coupe 230 6-cyl with powerglide and 2.73 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 00, 12:58 PM
Tech Team

Personally, I would get a 68 assembly manual. It calls out part #s and you could see what parts are different. Also it's great for calling Camaro parts places looking for a bracket or other things (most use it as a reference)You can tell 'em what item # on what page. It has saved my butt many times especially if you forget where or how something goes back together or other parts you might need for a project that you didn't think about. Good luck-Dan in WV
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 00, 07:10 AM
Senior Tech

Will, I would be installing the power steering at the same time as you are doing the motor, the box will be so much easier to replace at this time, as for the brackets I believe that any 68 / 67 small block brackets will work, sorry the 6 cyl don't come close, the next thing is to get the right pump, as the depth of the pully is important, don't forget to get the crankshaft pulley. If you can, scoop every thing you need from one car.
As far as the box goes I would suggest you find a box from a 68 camaro, least amount of hassels. Try to get the Pitman arm with it as well, as it is different from the standard box. Half the fun of owning a classic is the search for the parts. I don't think there is much difference between the heater cores.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 00, 09:50 AM

The heater cores are the same for the L-6 and small blocks. The big blocks have different housings and cores. Some other items to watch for: The L-6 used a 5/16" fuel line and some 327's used 3/8". If you are going to run a 4bbl carb, I would switch to the 3/8" pickup, lines and pump. The grounding straps from the block to the firewall also mount in a different spot. The radiator should also be a 3 core instead of 2. The motor mount towers also do not interchange from the L-6 to SB V-8. Might also have to shorten or extend the water temp and oil pressure wiring. Probably forgetting a few thousand other details.

------------------
Jeff Bradway - my resto page: http://67camaro.virtualave.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode