rear end alignment - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I was just wondering how many others out there have had problems getting the rear diff. of your car to center properly? I have tried 2 diff. sets of springs and measured everything i could think of and its still off about 3/4" Its driving me crazy, anyone out there experience this prob? any good solutions?

thanks again guys...

------------------
68 convertible...ZZ4, ect
67 base coupe - all orig!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 05:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Quikchevy, which car is it? Is the rearend cocked at an angle? Or forward to far 3/4". What are the springs out of your using? are they new? Were your spring perches rewelded on the rearend maybe? That would mess up the works. Or maybe the front spring perches were changed out with the wrong ones somewhere down the road. Just throwing things out there, what do you think?

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

its my 68 convertible....the springs are used mono's and im not sure if it sat right in the car it was in before! the rear diff appears to be an aftermarket housing but i did measure EVERYTHING and its ok! just seems like maybe the springs are bent sideways

its off center of the car meaning its closer to the fenderwell lip on one side than the other!

------------------
68 convertible...ZZ4, ect
67 base coupe - all orig!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 06:05 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
What are you using for a reference point to say it's off to one side? I ask because if your car has had any sheet metal replaced maybe the point your using for reference is actually what is off!!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

I would suggest to measure the car from LF lower ball joint to RR spring index head, and RF lower ball joint to LR spring index head. This is cross measurement to see if car is straight. There should be no more than 1/2 inch difference between the two measurements. Then I'd measure from qtr panel to spring index head to see if qtr's are straight, car could have been wrecked earlier in its life and repaired poorly.

As mentioned earlier, check rear end code, right year? or a replacement? Spring pads asysmetrical? Rear frame rails ever been replaced correctly? Is driveshaft parallel in tunnel? Both axle shafts the same length and the same style?

Good Luck, Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode