Fan Shroud on 69-Problems - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
BUD

Bought a replacement 3 core radiator for my small block 69 and also got the GM shroud. When I installed the radiator and shroud, the fan is not centered in the opening. It is the correct fan and fits the diameter fine, except when mounted in car. It's almost like the fan is one inch too far to the left. I got the radiator from Ricks and it is supposed to be the correct replacement. Has anyone else had problems with the correct fitting and placement of shroud in relation to the fan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 02:14 PM
Tech Team

may be a dumb question, you sure you got the radiator situated right in the brackets? sometimes it looks right, but isn't
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 02:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Bud

I noticed the same thing with mine and I haven't replaced a thing. The shroud is about 1/2 inch off center to the right (passenger side) of the radiator and even at that the fan is almost touching (and appears to have touched) the right side of the shroud. Hang tight, I'm sure someone will have an answer for both of us.

Robert

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 02:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Scott you may have a point. I was typing about the same time you posted. I just went down to the garage and took a look and the bottom bolt holes are slotted and are all the way over to the wrong side. I'll bet that will correct my problem. Bud I hope your's is that simple.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
BUD

I have slid the radiator over as much as the slots in the bracket will allow. I may have to notch them some more. When working on the problem earlier today, I tried moving it over and may not be able to notch the bracket enough to get the shroud centered.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 11:02 PM

This is pure speculation but I will put it up for discussion.
Wasn't a 31"x19" 4 row radiator also available? I'm wondering if the shroud would fit differently on that radiator.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 04:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I believe where the shroud goes is determined by the bracket that bolts to the Core support with that one bolt that goes through the top of the shroud.You can move the radiator back and forth all you want but the top of the shroud will still be in the same place. I would check engine stands and also check body panel fit. If the car has ever been wrecked in the front the core support could be sitting in the wrong spot just enough to give you trouble. The core support can be moved but it takes a little work. If you just hang the shroud by the one top bolt and don't attach it at the bottom corners of the radiator does it fit then ? If not the radiator is not the problem. Hope this makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode