Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Thumbs down

Got home from work and found a letter in the mail box from the local chapter of the AQMD (Air Quality Management District). They offered to buy my pre 1981 gross polluting vehicle from me for $500. It qualified because ir runs and is registered. All I had to do was drive it to the nearest crusher and I would get a check!!!

I took the liberty to draft a letter and E-mail it to the Gentleman incharge of the buy back program. Here it is,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
Mr. Stienberger,

Thank you for the generous offer of $500.00 for my 1969 vehicle that has it's registration about to expire. The car in question is a 1969 Camaro convertible. It has been painfully restored to better than new condition and is only driven on special occasions. If you would like to see a picture, you can at http://www.camaroslimited.com/graphics/memcars/den1.gif . This vehicle has a value of over $20,000 and I am sorry to say I will not be taking you up on your offer. The minimum price on a pre 1970 Camaro that meets your requirements (registered and running) is roughly $5,000.00 and many vehicles of this era are approaching the same pricing. You can see fewer and fewer owners will be taking your offer seriously.

I am sure you know as I do, cars like mine are not the gross polluters they are made out to be. This car is in better tune than 90% of all the cars on the road today. With the low mileage it sees annually and the loving care it receives you are barking up the wrong tail pipe. Look around you the next time you are out and about. You won't see too many
pre 1973 vehicles commuting the freeways, city streets or parking lots!! You won't see many of them parked in the driveways of our
homes! They are locked in our garages, driven on Sundays and displayed proudly at a summer car show!!! Your program is targeting the wrong segment of automobile!!!

Classic car collectors are a great bunch of people and have a better understanding of the mechanics of the internal combustion engine than most. We snap at the chance to score a junker and breath new life into it, or to take donor parts from a "one tire in the crusher" vehicle and use them to help restore our projects. From our side of the fence we
see a need to stop crushing these old cars and make them available to collectors and those interested in preserving a part of the american past!!!

I am writing this in hopes you might be open to seeing your program from the other side. When you do things for a while you become complacent and resistant to change. Putting on blinders like a race horse so all you see is the track ahead of you is ok for horses but not for a world as diverse as ours. You need to bring the BAAQMD out of the dark ages. Get automotive enthusiasts on your side. Work with business' to give incentives for car pooling, telecommuting and varied work shifts to reduce traffic congestion. (any car idling along in bumper to bumper
traffic isn't very efficient) Then go after the Auto makers and get them to make vehicles pollute less. And by all means don't forget about all the factories billowing tons of pollution into the air every day. We (car nuts) truly understand the need to preserve and protect the quality of the air we breath. It's time to concentrate efforts on the really effective practices and adjust the years you are after with this program. Help the classic automotive enthusiasts and they in turn will help you... How about a joint venture where the pre 1973 vehicles you
collect get set aside and auctioned off to raise money. Anyone that would bid on one of these cars would be doing so with plans to restore it or part it out for restoration. It becomes win, win!! I look forward to your reply.

Thank you,
Dennis Dunio
[email protected]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I encourage all of you to speak up and let your elected officials know how you feel about our pastime!!!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 01-29-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Wow, $500!!!! Can't imagine why you didn't jump on the offer. Seriously though, way to go DjD!!!!! You hit the nail on the head!! I agree, we all need to let our elected officials know how we feel about fixin' em up instead of crushing them.

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech

Right on, the only way to change the minds of these idiots is to speak up. Kudos!!!!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 06:35 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

I'll double their offer, I will give One Thousand dollars cash (no check). Now how can you turn that down Dennis? I will wait for your reply, and see you Friday night at the meeting.
Rick
By the way, the letter is spectacular. Were you an activist in the 60's?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Power to the people! What an insult to send out a letter like that. Goes to show the state of our state.
Joe
PS. I WAS an activist in the 60's. (But I'm a republican now; who could tell?)

------------------
69 SS396 Clone, B&M TH400, 12 Bolt Posi, Blue w/White Z28 Stripes
[email protected]
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 07:12 PM

My mom (who helped me pick out the car) has a degree in environmental science. My other car is a FFV (flexible fuel vehicle) and our family knows that the way to cleaning the air is stopping the destruction of the rainforest and our natural resources. Sure our cars pollute, but when millions of acres of land are being slashed and burned as we speak, I for one would think that they are barking up the wrong tree.

So yah, you can go ahead and tell them where they can shove that check
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 08:11 PM
Tech Team

Angry

DJD!!

I can i come over and do something!!! If i would receive anything like that in my mail i sure like to take my aluminium baseballbat and felt like playing !! My god cant you do anything there for it? vote against somebody or something? I had to say you can control your feelings and write nice after "offer" like that(i call it insult )

Sorry my temperature but i just hate oneway opinions in this world! thank god there si still gas for sale!!!!!
Joni
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 09:09 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

Djd, I only have one thing to say...Amen! I just dont understand how everybody can be so blind...taking a bunch of very limited use vehicles off the roads and leaving all of the gas hog SUV's and out of tune, smoke belching 80's models economy cars on the roads isnt going to help anything. What is really bad is that big corporations can buy leniancy (sp?) against their pollution output...rather than be forced to do something about it. They way it is now, we are paying for it twice...higher prices from manufacturers to cover their pollution credits, and we are loosing perfectly good hot rod material and parts every day.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech
John

Exclamation

Awesome letter DJD! You're absolutely right. Take care ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Very good letter. I wonder if people from other forums got hit the same?

My hat is off to you! (I'm bowing at the same time).

Long live the restorer!!!

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 01:51 AM
Senior Tech

very profresional ! I would think he might even read that and understand where we are coming from.
Is there any organization for the preservation of classic autos that we could join and have are voices heard?

------------------
stock? 67
hidden 69
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 03:01 AM

DjD, fantastic letter!!!! I hope you get a reply, soon. Please post it, I'm sure everyone is interested in what he has to say.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 04:53 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

1st, Ill double Ricks already doubled offer of $1000. to $2000. cash!

2nd, way to go Dennis. You hit the nail on the head with your letter. Unfortunatly, your talking to a bunch of politicians(no offense)and unless your not greasing there palms, they are not listening(at least thats the way it is up here), because they could turn there 1 sided program into a win/win situation for everybody with a small amount of thinking and planning, cause remember, alot of these cars havent been made in over 30 yrs. which means for every year that goes by, there are fewer and fewer cars and parts to go around, and the one with the most parts WINS , or is that toys?

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 05:04 AM
Senior Tech
John

DJD, Ditto!!! Got my letter yesterday. Ran right down and turned my '69 Z/28 in and scored a cherry '87 Taurus with a bad tranny on the way home and pocketed a cool $200.
Seriously though this is not going away. Dennis has taken a major step and the rest of us need to follow up in order to assure our hobby/passion doesn't become a memory.
Lastly, does anyone believe that if they drove up to a dismantler with their '68 big block, four speed convertible it would get anywhere close to the crusher? They would snap that baby up and stick in a derelict they scraped off the street somewhere and tag it as yours.

John
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 05:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

A very well written and thoughtout response. It's a shame these mandates get so much critical mass that they take on a life of their own. It's pretty sad when judgement and common sense fall be the side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode