1968 camaro 10 bolt differential - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 00, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

I am looking for a 10 bolt posi unit for my 68 camaro RS. I have located a GM 8.2 posi out of a 66 chevell. Will this fit in my rear end assy.? The rear end is Origional. Will the axles fit into this chevell differential?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 00, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

It would be much easier to get a 8.5" out of a 71-74 nova. It is stonger and will bolt right in. You can get a posi carrier (I think 2nd Gen posi carriers will fit, Someone please correct me if I am wrong), and then you are off to the races!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 00, 06:40 PM
Tech Team

The above answer is right on. I have a 68 and I put a 8.5 rear end in for a 74 Nova. Everything went smooth all that was needed was to shorten the drive line an inch or so. I got the entire car for $200 so it worked out quite cheap too. I did put in new gears, possi, and axels but it works great.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 00, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

If I understand correctly, I should be able to bold a 8.5 differential into my 68 housing without any modifications. Will I need a new cover plate?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech

No! you will have to find a 8.5 housing , they aren't interchangable. Also if it's a ' 66 model 8.2, it will bolt right into your ' 68 housing that's under the car. The widths are the same from a Chevelle to a Camaro, but the Camaro uses spring perches. They have gotten the bad rap about being weak, but I have ran them behind B/B's , and not had any problem. I would change out the housing to a later 8.5 one though, as the posi parts are easier to find.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Get a copy of CHEVY High Perpormance (Feb.2000). There is an awesome article that should tell you exactly what you want to know. Bob
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great responses. You have given me sevral options to pursue. If I do put a 8.5 under this 68 camaro, will I have to make any changes with the driveshaft or the way it bolts into the leafsprings? From which car should I look for an 8.5 to come out of?

Thanks again!!

Dan
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 04:22 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage
You can get an 8.5 out of a 71-74 Nova or one of its cousins. It should bolt right up with no changes to the springs. I believe the only thing you have to do is shorten the driveshaft by an inch or so.

------------------
68 Ash gold RS 327
factory AC,PS,PB
P-O-P
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 04:53 AM
Senior Tech

Yes, driveshaft will need to be shortend.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 12:17 PM

Re: 1968 camaro 10 bolt differential

i have a rear end for you buddy. i have an 8.5 inch 10 bolt carrier, and a 4.56:1 brand new ring and pinion. let me know if you'd be interested,
thanks
adam
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 05, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
Keith

The 8.5 that will bolt into you car from a Nova can be found under any 1972-75 Nova and 76-79 Nova with factory V-8. The 76-79's had 7.5's behind V-6's and the 71 Nova had mostly 8.2's although some cars had the 8.5's. All these have the same spring mounts as your Camaro, but all the 8.5 rearends will require your driveshaft to be shortened by around 1 inch. This isn't a big deal or an expensive one though. There should be somewhere in your are to do this. Check spring and driveline shops. Here it only costs $40 to have a shaft shortened and rebalanced.If you go to novaresource.com and do a search, there is a small article that gives all the dimensions on Nova rearends and shows how to quickly identify a 8.5 from the others.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 08, 09:33 AM
mikem

if you still want to sale please call me at 614 376 8418
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode