frame mounts big block verses small block - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 00, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Can some one help me? Tonight I was dropping the engine in my 69,everthing was fine the drivers side motor mount bolt went in,no problem,went to the passenger side and the hole was approx.1 1/2 inches off.I have another set of frame mounts that are supposed to be for a big block that appear to be close(just sitting them on the frame)I don't know if I got them mixed up or what but was wondering if anyone can help identify which are which.By the way I am putting a small block in the car. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 00, 06:44 PM
Tech Team

I had to change mounts in my car "I went for a straight 6 to a 396 BB". The mounts do look different but would be tough to describe, if you have a classic Ind. or similar mag. they will have pictures on the mounts so you can tell the difference.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 00, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech
Joel

The big block mounts are lower to the subframe on both sides so that the engine valve covers will clear the wiper motor.On ebay their are a pair listed and they have a very good picture of both.I think he even put the part numbers left should be (#3980941) and right I think ends with a (999) or (998) or somthing like that but be careful it almost sounds like you have two mismatch mounts because i think it should still bolt up even with small block mounts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 00, 06:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joe

I think the big block mounts offset the motor to the pass side slightly for more clearence between the dr. side exhaust manifold and the steering box. There is also a BB trans crossmember and a SB trans crossmember that do not interchange. I am not positive because I have read conflicting info on this in the different Camaro books.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Smile

Hey I have a 67 that i changed from a small block to a big block! I changed the frame mounts to big block frame mounts & have very little clearance on the drivers side between the factory cast iron exhaust manifold & the steering sector (1/2 to 3/4 inch) & I have to remove the wiper motor to remove the valve cover & I can't run a full size air filter element. A friend is running a 68 with small block frame mounts & he can run tall valve covers with out hitting the wiper motor the only difference is that he runs solid motor mounts & I run rubber mounts.

------------------
johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode