FRONT SPRINGS - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 00, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
BBS
Tech Team

Question

What differences would there be between big block springs and small block springs up front. Would ride characteristics be the only difference or would it make a big difference in ride height...Thanks...BBS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 00, 04:21 AM
Banned

Unhappy

Big block springs run from 380 to 400+ and small block springs 325 to 340 or therea bouts. They will probably set the front down 1 1/2" maybe 2" depending on wear and tear on them???
And generally not support the frontend stiffly enough for performance driving, but OK for straight line accelleration (i.e. dragging).
You really can't tell unless you try your stance or rake and see if you actually want your car to look and behave the way it will with the weaker springs.

Sorry, can't be more helpful, but we've beat this stuff about springs to death and generally came to the conclusion that it boils down to a trial and error type deal because we don't seem to come up with a spring constant formula/frontend weight of vehicle that is accurate enough to be able to calculate good enough to suit us.

David Pozzi has advised that he thinks that he's found a spring K formula thats close if you want to do a search on it. But then you will need to weigh the fron half of your car to get front tire loading data for it. Good luck. pdq67

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 00, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I cant give you all the #s, but I do know what they do look like. I know a guy that put a 402 in a small blk. car and the front end sat really low. I thought there was a big difference in how the BB ft end sits when theres a BB in it compared to a SB ft. end when a BB sits in it.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 00, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
BBS
Tech Team

My proplem is that my car dosen't have a drivetrain in it yet. I am going to put a smallblock in it but I think the springs that are in it now are for a big block.My main concern is that I don't want the car to sit too high on the front end...Thanks again...BBS....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 00, 10:23 AM
David Pozzi

Big block springs are almost the same rate as smallblock but taller.
You could cut a coil off and be close if you have the big block springs, but I'm just guessing.

It would be best to buy aftermarket performance springs around 550 lbs per inch rate for best handling.
When you lower a Camaro you definately need stiffer springs to keep the car from bottoming as easily.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode