add Tach and gauges? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 00, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

My 1969 Camaro SS is a 396/375 car without the factory tach and gauges. I am restoring under the hood and the wiring harnesses will
need to be replaced. Should I add the tach and gauges to keep a closer eye on that big
block or just add the tach with the center fuel gauge and mount a few small gauges under
the dash or should I not deviate from stock?
I have changed my mind several times, any
advise would be appreciated.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 00, 12:45 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Question

i would have to say it's really up to you. do you want to keep the stock look ? if you do, you could always buy a console, if you don't have one, and add the factory gauges and put in the tach in the dash. or if you like the performance look, i always liked the autometer gauges. i have a monster tach, on my dash, and the oil and water gauges attached to my steering column. i will tell you that if you go with the factory gauges in the console and also the factory tach, you'll pay a lot more. you can probably buy two set's of autometer gauges for what the factory gauges will cost you, but the factory setup does look neat though.
good luck,
bruce
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 00, 02:36 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

How original is the rest of the car and what do you use the car for(shows or cruising)? If you have stock exhaust manifolds and smog system and everything is original then I probably wouldn't change the car. But if there is already something non-stock or non-original then I would add the console and gauges. My 69 Z28 has headers, power steering added, customized shifter(original handle on comp plus shifter), angle plug heads and I plan to go back to exhaust manifolds, but keep the shifter and heads since that is part of the history of the car. Plus, the console/gauges look cool on a performance Camaro.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 00, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

You really don't need a tach, get a shift light. MSD makes them and they are a lot smaller that a tach.

I have a factory tach and it's inaccurate. It reads 5,700 RPMs when my MSD 6,000 RPM rev limiter comes in.

You could go an Autometer 3 guage set under the dash. There are some extra screw holes, so you can install the 3 guage pod without drilling your car.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 00, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

What are your long-term plans for the car? Wiring harnesses are one thing that you should have to do only once, so if factory gauges are something that you want in the future then you may want to take the plunge. You cannot go wrong with factory gauges if the financial side is acceptable. If you get a change try to take a look at some other cars (F-body and others)and see how they look with accessory gauges. Do you like the way they look and could you live with it? If so, then save your money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode