msd wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 00, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

when installing a MSD 6AL along with a MSD distributor do you still connect the yellow wire that on stock wiring runs from the starter solenoid to the + side of the coil?
in the MSD instructions they don't say anything about it and I don't want to short out anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 00, 06:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

You won't need it with the MSD; it was only used with points.

Jody
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech

If the ignition won't make a spark on start/engine crankover, then the yellow wire needs to be connected to the small red MSD power feed wire, along with the run circuit resistor wire. Do not connect the yellow wire to the coil, it doesn't go there any more with the MSD. Some cars don't need the second (yellow) wire from soleniod R terminal for starting, some do.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 00, 03:02 PM
Tech Team

Question

IgnitionMan, I am installing an MSD 6A and an MSD 8361 Distributor in my 69 350. I also have installed a completely new wiring harness in the car. The new wiring harness has a yellow wire attached to a forked spade connector to go on the coil. That same connector also has a wire with a braided fabric covering that is white with orange and brown threads. Do I connect the red wire from the 6A to both of those wires on the harness? Also, do I connect the brown wire on the harness (which I believe would have gone to the other side of the coil) to the tach output on the 6A? I have the orignal instructions that came with the 6A, however, they say nothing about these questions. Thanks for your help. DP
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 00, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech

The yellow wire may be needed for the start position of the ignition switch, for power to the small red MSD wire. It is used to give power from the R terminal of the soleniod to the coil plus terminal on start only, on some vehicles, especially before 1968. Whatever you do, never connect the yellow wire to the S terminal of the solenoid or the starter will not turn off when the key goes to the run position from voltage backfeed through the yellow wire.

The cloth covered wire is the ballast resistor wire. It connects to the bulkhead connector neat the brake booster/master cylinder to give voltage to the coil when the key is in the run position. It too should be connected to the MSD small red wire.

What you will end up with is the cloth covered and yellow wire bundle will connect to the small red MSD wire, and the other end of the yellow wire may or may not be used for start.

To determine if you need the yellow wire connected to the solenoid, connect a voltmeter to the cloth covered wire and turn the key to the run position, you should have voltage, then, turn the key to start, if you have voltage, you do not have to connect the yellow wire, and it can be taped off and stored away in the starter wiring bundle. If you do not have voltage, then, connect it to the R terminal of the solenoid.

The MSD is set to use from full battery voltage to factory resisted voltage at the small red wire, so changing the cloth covered wire shouldn't be nescessary, the MSD just uses that voltage to turn a switch on inside the box for the system to operate.

Stock tach feed wire from the coil negative term should go to the tach trm on the end of the MSD box, not the coil. You may need an MSD special adapter for the tach to operate, you will know when you plug the tach feed wire into the MSD box. Tach will either work fine or not at all.

[This message has been edited by IgnitionMan (edited 08-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by IgnitionMan (edited 08-12-2000).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 00, 04:14 PM
Tech Team

Unhappy

OK, I now have the MSD smaller red wire connected to the yellow and cloth covered wire. I'm getting heat on the cloth covered wire when the battery is connected and the key is in any position other than off. Circuit crossed somewhere? DP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode