How d'heck do I paint a 68 rally wheel cap - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 01, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Hello
I'm looking at my 68 caps wondering how the heck I'm going to paint the black areas and keep the raised parts chrome looking? And is the black a gloss, satin or flat? If anyone knows any tricks to make this job easy please respond soon cause I need to get this done this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 01, 01:13 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
This was just asked a few weeks ago.. You mask off the parts you don't want painted. You can get masking tape in various widths from 1/16" on up... I touched up my old ones with a semi gloss that matched well...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 01, 02:57 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Hey, I just did this a couple nights ago. I started off by polishing the raised parts of the chrome so paint wouldn't stick to it very well. I then used a little paintbrush and a toothpick for the smallest places to put the paint on the recessed parts. I used a small can of gloss black enamel paint, not sure if "gloss" is correct. Before the paint dried, I streched a t shirt real tight over the raised parts so it wouldn't touch the recesses, and polished the paint from the chrome, leaving the paint in the nooks and crannys. It was time consuming and tedious, but it looked perty darn good!

P.S. I was just up around Edmonton and Cold Lake this past weekend for Maple Flag exercise. You Canadians sure like your classic cars! I couldn't believe how many were on the road!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 17th, 01, 05:50 PM

Thumbs up

Mask off the large areas then spray the the chrome ribs and in between them.Then take a small putty knife or something flat wrap it in a piece of a T shirt and dip it in some laquer thinner .Wipe the ribbed parts with the t shirt and It will take the paint off the chrome and leve it in between the ribs. you have to work quickly so the paint does not dry but this worked relly well for me.

------------------
69' R/S Lemans blue,deluxe interior,houndstooth, 406, 12 bolt.

[This message has been edited by R/S 350 (edited 05-17-2001).]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 01, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, this gives me some good tips. There is quite a few classics up around here. I live just outside of Edmonton the capital of alberta in a town of 12,000 people and last count there are 11 restored 1st gen camaros in town.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 01, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

I asked this question afew weeks ago. The best and fastest way to paint the black, is to get a paint stick at your hobby shop or at Walmart. They have them in silver/chrome and different black styles. This saves time by NOT having to mask the chrome. The paint stick is just about wide enough to cover in one pass. I,ve done it
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 06:23 AM
Tech Team

For really fine details that you don't want paint on wipe some Petroleum Jelly(Vasilene)on the areas.After painting the paint and vasileneand paint off together.

------------------
74 Camaro
in the Great White North
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

This is going to sound pretty weird but I found that a black Sharpie works pretty well and matches quite closely. You do need to go over it about once a year though.

Scott.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode