Front Spolier slow's you down - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just thought that that I would inform all the camaro drag racer's,that If you remove the front spolier you will gain approx. about a extra 1/2 second in 1/4 mile run.My friend and I experimented with are car's and found out that we were getting better result's

------------------
NOTHING LIKE A 69 !!!!!

[This message has been edited by Pat's 69's (edited 08-06-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech

A half a second is a huge amount of time, are you sure about those figures?

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

Thanks for the onfo!I was considering putting mine back on.It has been off since I bought my car.I was going to put it back on thinking it may help with keeping the engine cooler while cruising.Anybody know if this will help?I know it helps on the newer generations.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching
4X4 Chevy truck
4X4 Suburban

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 01:35 PM
Tech Team

Ok, I wasn't going to reply on this one, but I just couldn't help it. Excuse me if I sound like an @ss, (not my intent understand), but are we talking about a factory 69 Camaro here, with factory spoiler? And take the front spoiler off , and cut off 1/2 sec. in the quarter mile? I don't think so. You must have done something wrong in this test. Do you think that the factory engineers that designed the cars would put a part like that on them that would slow them down? I know "Grumpy" jenkins ran some pro stock Camaros with factory spoilers on them. Do you think this guy would run one if it slowed him down that much? Come on guys. These guys are a heck of a lot smarter than we are. It's simple physics. I suggest you put your spoilers back on and try it again. Sorry, I just had to say it.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 03:22 PM
Tech Team

Funny this is brought up,just got back from Nostalgia Drags in Wentzville Mo.A friend of mine runs a 468 BB 67 camaro.(if you were there Mark M,it was red with yellow flames)He experimented with his front spoiler because another racer told him he could pick up almost 1/10 by using it.On or off it made no noticable difference on a fairly consistant 10.60 car.That is what my friend told me.He could be a Liar though.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

All I can say is that it worked for us.You can try it with your's and give us your feed back to this statement.Even if you get 2 or 3 tenth's of a second I think it should be proof.

------------------
NOTHING LIKE A 69 !!!!!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech

I agree with Peace69Z/28......Not a snowballs chance in he#[email protected]%! of cutting off that kind of time in the quarter mile.....KZ
Once again, this is just my humbled opinion.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech

Boomhouer, no I didn't get to the race. Were you at the cruise friday? Did you see my car?

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 03:56 PM
Tech Team

No I didnt make the cruise but my friends did.I made the race Sat and Sunday.One friend had the camaro,One had a orange 70 cuda 440,the other had a 61 mint green dodge shortbed 440 Nitrous.I do believe I saw your car at a car show in washington Mo. in May,were you there,or was I imagining,I looked at your cars picture and it rang a bell.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech

Yeah that was me. I've gone the past two years with it.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 05:24 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Hey, I need a front spoiler! You don't want that thing slowin' you down, so sell it to me!
I think I can forgive myself if it takes me an extra 1/2 second to go to the ice cream shop

------------------
My RS Conv. 1
My RS Conv. 2

[This message has been edited by dadjad (edited 08-06-2000).]
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

I remember reading where someone tested the spoilers on a '69 Camaro in a wind tunnel (don't remember if it was factory testing it or someone in the aftermarket). The test said that the front spoiler SHOULD BE USED, as it cleaned up the air that passed underneath the car. The rear spoiler , on the other hand, disrupted the air, and the test said that a front spoiler should be used, and the rear left off. But, they ultimately said the difference was negligable to most people.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech

Based on that spolier data, I bet I could shave another half second off my quarter mile time if I gave my car a good wax job!!!

I could also take out my front and rear windshield and shave another half second off because the car would have less air resistance because it would NOT be slowed down by any pressure against the windshield.

Wow guys, we are on to something here. If we shave off enough half seconds, it's possible we can get our cars to the finish line PRIOR to them actually leaving the starting line.

My oh My!!!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 00, 06:18 PM
David Pozzi

If the spoiler were truely affecting drag in a good or bad way it should show up in top speed more than ET.

David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode