Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Orchard Park, NY USA
When I received my new seals, they came with new staples, which like everything else I had purchased for the car, didn't fit the existing holes. And trying to rebend the new staples didn't work. I ended up making my own out of .018 guage galvanized wire (don't quote me on this size, I might be off a bit) which I purchased at the local hardware store. I cut to an appropriate length (around 1" I think) and using a vise grips, bent the 2 90 degree bends to fit my hole spacing using "trial and error" . When the size was right I inserted through the splash guards and fender well, then just pushed the 2 ends over making the "staple". It worked great, the galvanized wire hasn't rusted yet, and looks still has a nice clean shine.