rear ride heigth - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Angry

well my new leaf springs and 12 bolt were installed yesterday along with my conpetition engineering ss traction bars. the traction bars look great under the car! any how, my car had a 10 bolt with a mono leaf, now it has a five leaf, that i bought from classic industries. the problem i am having is the car sits about 2 inches higher in the back! so now it looks like a nova! i have 255/60/15's in the rear and they look so small. i was wondering if the suspension would settle or is my car stuck this way, or should it look this way? and another thing, the car sits lower on the driver side than the passenger, it is noticeable from the rear. everything is new, all the bushings and hardware, and shackles. any one have this problem? i havent drove the car but my dad has, he said there was a clunk in the rear? have no idea.. i hope the car settles. if now how do you lower the rear? thanks guys.

justin

------------------
BLack 69 coupe 350/TH400 factory A/C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 06:15 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

It's going to settle some over time. How much and how soon is a different story. The more you drive it, the faster it will settle. It may sag 1", it may sag 2", it's not something that can be easily determined. The qulaity of the spring has a lot to do with it. If you drive the car regularly you may start to notice it starting to lower after a month or so.

As far as lowering, there are several options. Lowering blocks mount between the axle housing and spring. Longer "U" bolts are required. You tailor the ride height by changing the block thickness. 1" is about max for a high-powered good tire car. There are some people on this site that run 2" blocks without problems. The nice thing about blocks is that you can let the springs settle and remove/adjust the block as necessary. Guldstrand makes a really nice 1" block and "U" bolt kit.

The second option is re-arching the spring. You can specify how much arch you want taken out to tailor your ride height. This is the best method but it is more expensive and the springs will still settle afterward. You can have this done at most spring shops.

Was the clunk before or after the new springs? Did you install all new bushings?

It is common that cars with new multi-leaf springs appear to sag on one side. There is a lot of friction between the leafs and this causes them to stick. Try pushing down on the high side and lifting on the low. Does it even out? Mine can be as much a 5/8" off, but after I drive the car it is level.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 07:19 AM
Senior Tech

When you changed the rear end did you put new fluid in it? If so did you put in conditioner? My posi used to do this until I change the oil and put some conditioner in and drove it around so it splashes the diff clutches.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

thanks guys. the leaf springs seem to be very high quality, compaired to a few i have seen. yes we used new gear oil and posi lube, the rearend didnt have any in it due to a new gear change, the gears in my new rear end were not even used, but sat for a long time. im not use if it was the drive shaft that was clunking, because the new rear end had to use little clips and bolts insted of the "u" bolt design to hold the u-joint in place. we only drove the car about 5 miles and let it sit. the new traction bars are great but unlike any i have seen, we had to use about 2 inch shock extensions, because my shocks do not mount to my rear end but to a brack on my traction bar itself. if i can i will have my brother post some pictures of my new set up with some pictures of my old set up on his web site. my dad and i were going to unbolt everything and tighten it all back up, because the bushings and every bit of hardware is new. thanks again. i havent even got to drive the car! so ill see how i like it. the height of the rear isnt that bad, now i can get some good 275 for it. thanks

justin

------------------
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 01:28 PM
Senior Tech

As Carl said, it will settle. As painful as it may look, you'll be surprised just how much it may come down on it's own. The best thing would be to drive it for a month or two and then see how it sits after a while. I put new 5 leaf Eaton springs on my car about 2 months ago, and even though it's a high quality spring, it has settled an inch or so. I haven't driven the car in a a few months because of some engine work I've been doing, but even since then it has settled nicely. Or as RockyMtnRacer would say, "nice jackstand queen."

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 00, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

well after testdriving my car, and having my dad watch me make passes down the street we finally figured out what that clunk noise was. it was my traction bars hiting the leaf springs when i would put the car in gear and take off. the ride isnt too bad, in fact i kind of like the new stiff ride. i hope my car settles. i still have subframe connectors to install as soon as i get some nre body bushings. after that its time to hook up the front of the car with hotchkis lowering springs. thanks guys. i drive the car everyday so i hope it all turns out. ill look in to posting some pictures. thanks a lot.

justin

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode