Electronic Trunk Stuck! HELP ME! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Question

Alright, I'm hoping you guys can help me with this! I know this is a Camaro forum, but this question relates to my 1990 Formula Firebird. It has the electronic trunk release with the switch on the inside console. When I press it, I hear the usual click followed by the trunk being raised to its usual height. However, it clicks again and the trunk does not dis-engage. Instead it stays partially open for a few seconds, and then the motor kicks back in and pulls the trunk shut!

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this thing open? I really need to get into my trunk, and i can't reach what I need by pulling the seat down! Any advice is greatly appreciated. You guys have been very helpful in the past with questions I had about my Camaro, but I am stuck here.

Thank you in adavance!

------------------
Dan Taney
1990 Formula Firebird
1984 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 06:38 PM
David Pozzi

Isn't there a key lock back there too?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

That's what I was thinking.

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 09:07 PM

My 87 camaro had an electronic hatch. try using the key, turn it and hold it and see if you can lift the hatch as it comes up. if that doesn't work try crawling through the hatch from the inside and taking off the back panel. you will be able to see the motor and latch. you can either adjust the latch up (i think there is three bolts) so it will let go or take it off all together. if you do have to losen or take it off you will have to reset the hight of the latch so it closes all the way and the deck lid isn't sticking up.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, there is a key lock back there, too. But, all that does is engage the motor to release the trunk just like pressing the button.

I'm going to try the idea of crawling into the back and manually releasing it from the latch. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the idea. I will let you guys know how this turns out.

-Thanks Again

------------------
Dan Taney
1990 Formula Firebird
1984 Camaro
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 06:17 AM

I forgot to mention that you might have to have some push the button or turn the key once you are ready to adjust or move the latch. at least i think you will. hope this helps.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Alright, thank you everyone for your help! I fixed the problem this afternoon. Here is what I did in case anyone else runs into this(not a very technical solution, but it worked): I pulled down the back seat and positioned myself in the trunk, then i had someone push the button and the trunk started to move upward. Once it clicked (the point where the trunk should release), I pushed on the hatch and pried the latch loose from the motor's clip with a screwdriver. Then, the trunk just popped open. I lubricated all the parts on the latch and the motor's clips and now the trunk opens and closes fine! Thanks again for all your help. (I'm just glad that it didn't come to me having to take the back apart to manually disengage it as suggested.)

------------------
Dan Taney
1990 Formula Firebird
1984 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode