Thermostat - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Hi everyone! I'm having a slight heating problem with my 68 SS Camaro, 350. I think my problem is my thermostat, since I don't know what's in it and I would like to start there. I was just curious what everyone IS using for a thermostat? It's been getting hotter here lately and I hope it's something simple.

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
John

I run a 180 in mine... Used to run a 160 but the radiator didn't seem to keep up. I'm actually thinking about putting a 195 back in it...

------------------
69 Z/28
www.camarogenerations.com
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Exclamation

I have a 180 in my 396, but it runs closer to 200.

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 07:27 PM
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
Cool

I have a '69 Z28, and I've heard that they run better with a warmer thermostat. I had a 195 in it but changed it to a 180, and I think it runs just as good. With the hot summers that we have around here I thought the 180 would be better.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 01, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech

I use a 180 and the car runs just a bit below 200 as well. I would think that once you reach the rated temp the stat whould stay open full time as my system does not have the capacity of keeping the car at 165 or 180 degrees anyways. So whether I ran a 165 or 180 or 195 it would still run between 190 and 200. Highway 190, stopped at light 200 (as I don't have a clutch fan). That could be why your car runs the same even though you lowered the rated temp. It's still running at the same overall tempature above the stat rating. I think the problem I would have with a 195 is that it would be opening and closing all the time. Using that logic, which could be faulty, it seems like the 180 is right for me. If I had a cooling system that could actually keep the car at 165 (which I don't think a lot of us do) then my story would probably be different. I would be interested in hearing from an expert.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 01, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech

I keep haveing problems with thermostats sticking shut and overheating so i just pulled mine and chucked it !! To date i have had no over heating problems and I run at about 185*
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 01, 04:21 PM

Cool

the green68 is right with a 180 degree thermo at 180 or anything over it will stay open,i beleive the highest rated thermo is best as long as it doesent cause overheating i dont think chucking would be wise on a street/daily driver because it would take for ever to warm up and may not run as eff. as it should
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 01, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech

Go to Autozone and get their part # 330-180, it is a Robertshaw stat and should take care of your problem.

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
If you have no fear, you're not going as fast as you could.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks, I'll give the #330-180 a try tonight. I hope it solves my heating problem but if not should I try a 160lbs thermostat? Or should I be looking more at my radiator / fan?

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 05:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

A lower temp thermostat will not cure an overheating problem. If you're OK while moving, then it's a fan/air movement problem and a move to a clutch fan is probably the cure. If it overheats while driving, you have a capacity problem in which case you're looking at a radiator and maybe water pump. I have Griffin radiator with a Spal electric fan and aluminum Stewart high flow water pump which works very well. Of course, you're talking an $850 cure. Keep us posted and start with the simple stuff.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 08:15 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

On the topic of robertshaw stats, I've heard mention of a hi flow stat by Robertshaw. Is it the same as the330-180?

------------------
Black 69 camaro
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 08:31 AM
Senior Tech
John

I think/hope RickD is onto something. I replaced the 307 in a '70 with a mild 355 and left the 307's radiator and shroud. I installed a GM 7 blade fan and a clutch. The temp guage will move up just into the red and hold weather I'm moving or not. It hasn't overflowed but it's running too hot for my taste. You think I should go with a 26" four row?

John
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 01:42 PM
Senior Tech
John

A thermostat, assuming it's operating properly, has virtually nothing to do with overheating - it just provides faster warmup and regulates coolant flow. The Robertshaw 330-180 is a good high-flow thermostat - I've used them for years. The temperature rating of a thermostat is the temperature at which it BEGINS to open - it isn't fully open until 15-20 degrees above that. Cooling capacity is determined solely by the radiator at highway speed, and by the radiator, fan, and shroud working together as a system in low-speed traffic. If you have a cooling problem, a lower-rated thermostat won't do anything for it.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech

JohnZ put an excellent post over on the "Bee Cool in a 69" thread. Its a cooling system must read!!!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 10th, 01, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Talking

I couldn't get the Robertshaw 330-180, they are out of it and I was too impatient to wait, so I got the #400-180. Should I have any concerns? I'm going to put it in either tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know if my problem is solved.

I agree with the fact that a thermostat doesn't "cool" the water down faster or anything. However if it is malfunctioning it could raise the temperature, right?. I've see it happen before. If the problem persist, I will leave the 180 in there and look more at changing the radiator. I think a nice 4 or 3 row would be plenty capacity for me Let me know if I'm wrong here though. Thanks!

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode