Starter question - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 00, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Cool

I finally got around to shimming my starter and it is finally quiet. The problem I have is the gear disengages but does not return all the back, the result is the gear clicking on my flywheel (not good).

I have a remote solenoid mounted on the firewall with the batt. cable going to the starter solenoid, the batt.terminal on the starter is jumped to the hub closest to the engine.

It did this when the starter was new. Is there some problem that is preventing the gear from going all the way back? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanx. Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 00, 05:23 PM
David Pozzi

Cool

If the bendix is not returning all the way, it might be the bushings inside the bendix are damaged or coming loose and jamming it.

The fork that throws it into gear could be installed backward or damaged or worn.

The return spring could be too weak or soft.

You didn't say if you could manually retract the bendix all the way or if there was something preventing it.

There are two length return springs, the short one works better for hot starting problems, but the disadvantage is that there is less spring to pull the bendix back.

The fact that you had to put an external solenoid on the car tells me perhaps you have something binding the bendix.

While you are working on the starter, pull the end cap and check the brushes for wear. If they wear too far the starter will lose power and eventually the screws holding the brushes will hit the armiture shorting it out.

I use a Standard Motor Products #SS200 Solenoid. It is teflon lined and uses brass and copper fittings. It uses the short return spring.

David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 00, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Cool

Thanx David. Yes i can push the gear back. I will try all you suggested when I get a chance. Again, thanx. Sean

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 01, 08:58 PM

i have chewed up 3 starters on my 454, the original cast iron nose, and 2 aluminum nose starters, borrowed a gear reduction from a friend, it works but the gear doesnt pull all the way out of the flywheel either, and i suspect the spring is weak in it, going to put a new gear reduction starter on next week, and see what happens. and just as you have described in your situation i can also push it in manually, however i think i may need to do some shimming it seems to drag the gear tightly against the flywheel..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode