Where can I find a schematic of 69 a/c parts ? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 01, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Is there anywhere , or a website (also any specific book) that has a schematic / picture of all the a/c parts and their placement in a 69 Camaro SS Conv. ? I want to start rounding up all the parts to install factory air , but need to find a picture and description with technical names of all parts. I've seen pics and diagrams like this for other GM vehicles , I'd like to find a very good one on the web or in a book. Any recommendations ? Thanks, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 01, 04:01 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

They are all shown in the 69 assembly manual under RPO C60, including the wiring and vacuum diagrams. Be aware that the firewall on an A/C car is different than a non A/C car. The hole though the firewall is a different shape, and will require patching in order to mount the evaporator. Most parts are available through places like Ebay, or from individuals, except the convertible specific air dams that mount onto the cocktail shakers and prevent air from bypassing the radiator. These are extremely rare, and don't come up for sale that often, if ever.

Be prepared to spend around $1500 to purchase and to do a "correct" installation into a non air car.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 01, 04:30 PM
Kevin

Mark, Your post is right on the money as usual, but I think the $1500 figure is a little low. The A/C stuff is going up in price like the rest of the Camaro parts. Did you ever get a set of rad extensions? Please give me a ring if you ever find another set I still need a set.

RSSS69conv, Glad there are some more guys out crazy enough to want to do the A/C changeover. The Assembly manual is priceless, GET IT! You will pore over it for hours. It also helps to have look at some cars with A/C for a comparison.

One more thing, Mark and RSSS, What are (have)you done with the astro vent holes on cowl area? A/C cars did not have them, so no holes. Did you weld a plate over the holes or screw a metal patch over them with sealer?

I plan to convert my SS convert to factory type A/C as well.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 01, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Nope, still only have the driver's side one. It should be installed by now but as usual very little progress has been made on this years planned projects. Probably do everything I wanted to do slowly over the winter, all at once in April when the car comes out of the garage again.

I installed two plates about 4" square over the holes, held them in with the three large headed screws that originally held the air vent valves in. Didn't want to try welding up under my dash.

Prices may be going up but if you take your time you can get all of the pieces cheaply. Start looking for them now because the prices start going up around March and come down to a low around September or October. I've got a spare set of all under dash ductwork that I got for $20 of ebay. Was the opening bid and no else bid. Almost felt bad for getting them that cheap. I've seen them go for anywhere from $20 to over $200. Same deal with evaporators and firewall housings. Seen some sell for $50 others for $250 with no visible differences, just timing.

If you do try to buy an evaporator from someone make sure you get a 69. The evaporator and the housing are the same for 67 through 69 but the blower motor resistor mounted on the housing is unique to 69 and it is not available as a reproduction or NOS.

Another part that is hard to find are the hoses. You can always have a set made using "non correct" parts but finding originals is tough.

Also know that none of the (except the alternator) pulleys on an A/C car are the same on a 350 Non Air car. Its all these little nickel and dime, (or $10 and $20) parts that kill you.

There is actually an auction that just started on Ebay for everything on the interior of a 69 right now. He (she) has the heater box, all the ducts, wiring, Kick Panels (yes, they are different too) heater controls and cables. It was at $71.00 an hour ago. There is a steel plate that goes behind the drivers side kick panel that blocks air flow, make sure you get that as well, its another hard to find part.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 04:28 AM

Man you just missed a complete setup for a 69 and it sold for $400. I was outbidded with 5 secs left and I bid $100 over the last bid. So it was only at $300 with 30 secs left. Keep checking local people in fl hae alot of parts. Email me at [email protected] and I will get you some phone #'s to check.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 07:57 AM

I had thjought that I needed to rework my AC because there is no longer R12 available. The old hoses will allow the new stuff to weep right through it. Right?

What is the correct strategy for a working AC system with todays refridgerent? <sp?>

Rick O'Loughlin
69 RS-SS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 08:06 AM
Team Member
John

R-12 is still available, just expensive, and is only sold to certified A/C shops, not to individuals.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 08:25 AM
Kevin

The articles Iv'e read state the mods required to convert to R-134 are not too extensive, POA changes (or replacement) and the hoses, drier and oil must be changed. The system must be well cleaned. And you can expect it to be not as cold as R-12, but environmentally friendly

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode