Accel pedal prob - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 19th, 01, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Posting this for a good friend. (WE4) He has a '69 SS big block car that appears to have "oilcanned", for you old-timers, the firewall where the accelerator pedal attaches. The firewall is cracked and when you press the pedal it wants to poke the mount through the firewall. This would be an otherwise easy fix however the car must be repaired without removing the engine. I suggested welding the same section of firewall from a donor car over the damaged area and re-attaching the pedal. What I want to know is does anyone have any other suggestions or opinions regarding this problem.

Thanks in advance,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 19th, 01, 06:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Wow, that's a new one on me. Never heard of that. How does that happen? The only thought that comes to mind would be welding metal straps of some kind from the inside to strengthen the wall area around the mount. That would be very difficult to do with the carpet and wiring with the tight space to work in. Maybe bolt the straps to the firewall from the inside? Tough one.
Why can't the motor come out to do this?
Is the firewall metal ripped in this area?
I'm curious now.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 19th, 01, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Yes the firewall has a horizontal tear through the middle of the pedal mount approx 4" long. Anly thing I know is the motor must stay in. The firewall pad in this area is gone so it's just a matter of pulling the carpet back. I also think a patch could be pop-riveted in as a temp fix but the firewall is curved in that area and matching the curves without a donor car patch might be difficult. How about a different pedal assembly from another make/model? How about a floor mounted pedal? Just throwing these out and thinking out loud. Let me know what you think.

John

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 19th, 01, 07:14 PM
David Pozzi

There are a lot of wrinkles in that area and even if you had a donor car piece, I doubt if it would match very well.
I'd look at the Lokar throttle linkage. Maybe consider switching it to a cable setup.
Either way, it would be nice to either weld or rivet a patch over the crack from the inside.

If you do rivets, use an epoxy glue and use Avex aircraft rivets. They are strong, and hold the center mandril in the body so you don't have leaks through the center of the rivet.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Thanks David. Some good ideas. I'll let you know what the fix turns out to be.

Thanks,

John

John
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech
Marty

Had a similar problem a while back with the area between the clutch and the fuse block on my 69. I've got a 5-spd with a hydraulic clutch and a master cylinder that mounts on the firewall. The master cylinder bolts had ripped the firewall. I ended up cutting a couple of plates to sandwich the firewall between and riveted them in place. I've got another problem now though...just broke the linkage rod from the clutch pedal to the master cylinder - posting another message about this later.

Here's a try at a couple of pics....
http://users.ev1.net/~martyp/69camaro/fwtear.jpg http://users.ev1.net/~martyp/69camaro/fwfix.jpg

------------------
Marty

69 Camaro, 350, TrickFlow heads, T5, 3.73

[This message has been edited by 69CamaroSS (edited 05-20-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode