nothing but headaches - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 00, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Unhappy

[1] all winter getting a new paint job supposed to have it back in march & I rec'd it may 15th!

[2] first cruise-in& I cut a hole in upper rad hose from alt! 2 hour delay finding parts
[100 miles from home]

[3] look at cars drive home everything runs o.k. wash the car find a scratch on new chrome on top of door#$%^% upon cleaning out the inside find a beer bottle cap inside some a%$hole probably used to scatch the car

[4]a week later take a friend for a ride, come back home and see antifreeze on the floor ^%$# the radiator has a hole in it![ it was leaking when I got it back from the body shop] I put stop leak in it didn't work pull rad and fix leak

[5] next week drive to town everything cool tops down looking good! stop at gas station won't start{ I've had this problem from time to time} thats it new starter.

[6]a couple of days later the wife wants to go for a ride, go out to the garage and on cover the car, won't start again! act's like its locked up push it out of garage& roll it to start it acts like its locked up finally starts smokes a little misses a little then runs fine drive to everythings O.k. bring it home starts o.k.

[7] think about it all day. try to start tonight, lockedup ^%$# pull sparkplugs everything looks good till the 7th plug full of water!! 1 week till a local car show and cruise and I'am broke down again! boy I love these old cars!

sorry for the long post but its easier to blow off steam this way. I think I'll trade it for a VW!{ 68 ss conv cheap! }
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 00, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
Joel

Man that story brings back alot of bad thoughts about cars ive had.I guess to have a old car is like being married sometimes it seems like alot of trouble when things arent going so well but man when its good its GOOD.Keep your head up and hang on tight remember the more things you fix the less that will break and if it was easy every one would have one.Try and remember the times when you pull up to a gas station or a cruise and you get that look of envy from folks that wish they could change places with you because you have that rare classic that they would someday like to have.Those thoughts help me when one of my cars won`t run right or just dosen`t act like it should.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 00, 07:53 PM
Senior Tech

OK, what's the problem???? Sounds like a really normal-Norman, anything goes, regular deal around here kind of a day. One of my grandmother's maiden names was Murphy, you think you got problems, live with Murphy's Law 24/7.

Seriously, though, these are the things that try your irate level and your hobby and sport. Stay cool, it's only a machine, don't let it get you. Fix it, that'll teach it a lesson and show it who's boss.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Take care.

I-man

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 00, 09:17 PM
JWA
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Okay how cheap is cheap? How 'bout a couple of bugs straight acrossed My car was in the bodyshop for 4 months waiting on parts. i was getting frustrated waiting . Painter says "hey you know I could probably fabricate those patch panels" How come he did not tell me 4 months earlier I don't know. 4 and a half months later it was finally done. That is when I learned you don't tell a painter take all the time you need I never worried about the paint once it was done though because I know my luck. So far: one chip from dropping wrench on fender (Yes I own fender covers) One scratch from an out of place jack stand. One scrape where I had a hood hinge bind up.Best of all I am on my third motor in 2 years. No more mail order assembled stuff for me. Last one machined locally and put together by me and the machinist. Experience doing all this has made me unafraid and competent. Heck, I can probably pull the motor out in an hour by myself. Putting it back would probably be about 15 minutes longer. What is really bad is now I kind of like it.........
Hang in there. This is a great hobby.

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427 )
My Chevs
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 04:13 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

Wink

Ditto on the above.
This seems to pretty much be how all my projects go.I try to tackle a major project on my car every winter,then have it ready by driving season,April-May.There always seems to be tons of gremlins to work out before the job is done though.This spring,I had/have a perpetually leaking trans. dipstick tube,one day it leaks 1/2 a quart on the floor,won't do it again for 3-4 weeks.I battled my way through a intermittant "no start" problem,ended up bringing it to a electrical "wizzard",only to watch him pull his hair out over it,after blowing up my MSD box,and draining my wallet though,did he get it fixed.Last year I painted my sub-frame/floorpans with POR-15,only to find out afterwords that they sent me defective paint!Yeah,I got my $$ back,but I would rather have the paint look right.The list goes on and on.
I now have 2 rules to go by before starting any project.1.It will take at least twice as long as I think 2.It will cost at least twice as much $$,by the time I'm through.
I have said this before,these are the things that separate the men from the boys,or the gearheads from the "posers".A couple of the salesmen from my work make big $$.They buy a new car every 6 months or so,beat it,then sell it for something new.They try to talk cars with me,telling me how much faster thier 2000 Vets are."Wanna race?","It'll do the 1/4 in the 12's"Blahblahblah.These guys don't even know how to change thier own oil.They get no respect from me.
I guess what I'm saying is cars are a PIA,yes.But it sure fells good when you get it out on the street finally,and you can say you did it your self.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching
4X4 Chevy truck
4X4 Suburban
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 04:23 AM
Senior Tech

If it were easy, everyone would have a 1st Generation Camaro............. KZ
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Oh boy can I sympathize. In an email discussion with another member the topic of being stubborn came up. I guess all of us must be stubborn and have a passion for these cars since economically they are not the best way to spend our time and money.

I have a lot of people ask me if it "was worth it". I tell them it's sort of like a woman giving birth. After it's over, and you get to drive the car and others admire your efforts, you forget the pain.

Like I-man said, it's just a machine. Take your wife out for dinner instead of working on the car, that way when you buy new AFR heads she won't mind

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 06:49 AM
Tech Team

LOL in reagrds to the AFR Heads!! My wife just about had a cow when she found out my Edelbrock Heads cost almost a grand.

In regards to problems, I enjoy working on my car when things go right. I don't enjoy fixing stripped bolts, tracing wiring for two days because a fuse blew, etc, etc. Nowadays I become worried when a project goes as planned!

When things go wrong I just keep telling myself "It's 31 years old, things are bound to break or be worn out."

As someone else already said, "If it were easy, everyone would have one."

Mike

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jerry

Thanks for the encouragement I quess two nights work and a case of beer and I'll be back on the road. I've had the car about 15 years and never had this many problems except 2 clutches,ring$pinion,syro's in trans, wiring problem,brakes,u-joints,bodymts WOW! its almost brand new again!sure wish I had A/C in the garage! lets see now; BEER, snap-on tools.BEER, fan,BEER,old time rock-n-roll music,BEER o.k. I'am ready!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech

Angry

Try pulling the old 283 and building a 396,
having the M21 rebuilt, installing a new
clutch, pressure plate, headers, scattershield, shifter, detailing under the hood. Then getting ready to start it up and finding the tranny jammed in reverse. It seems as though the guy who rebuilt the M21
left the locking pin out for the reverse shaft. I had to pull it all back out and send the tranny back to him.....
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 00, 01:08 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

I know how you feel, just came in the house from loading then unloading my 72. Loaded up all my tools ,jets, etc, then loaded the car on the trailer. While strapping down I saw a green drip at the front of the car. It seems my electric fan got against my griffin alum radiator and rubbed a hole in it!
$%#@%^%
Stephen

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 700R4
69 SS clone unfinished
72 454 Weekend Racer
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 00, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech

I could send in my list, I'm sure it would make you feel better. But it's like telling your wife how many other girls there were before her. You admit a couple and never mention the rest.

Hang in there!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 00, 02:18 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Lightbulb

I see your problem now, too much Beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode