classic car insurance ? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 99, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

can anyone recommend a good insurance company for my 78? i am using Geico and i like the service, but they will not give me full coverage because the car is too old. anyone out there with a suggestion? a good price is important too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 99, 02:47 AM
Senior Tech

I have both my classics insured through company called Hagerty Classic Insurance out of Traverse, Michigan (1-800-922-4050 or website @ www.hagerty.com) The deal is that this company only insures classic cars as I understand and "it" must be considered a classic and you must not use it as an everyday back and forth to work car (proof of insurance on work car required). But if it is a classic car and you have another work car the deal is great.

You declare a value and submit 3 pictures of your car along with an application. If they accept the application they will insure your car year round with no real restrictions on mileage like other insurance companies. They expect you will be using the car for shows, cruizes, parades and special events but you can load up the miles on the car participating in these events and are still covered. They advertise in our local Cruize magazine as a $10,000.00 declared value car as $115.00 cost anually. Also if you have more than one car the amount does not go up appreciably because they realize you can only drive one at a time. I have a 67 SS396 Chevelle and a 68 RSZ/28 insured for around 250.00 anually. Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Robert Stacho (edited 07-03-99).]
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 99, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech

I use Condon & Skelly. They charge about $7 pey year for each 1000 added coverage after a base amount. Never had a claim so I can't comment on service

------------------
1970 unmodified
THM350
F41

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 99, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech

A while ago, Pru dropped all classic car and insurance and so I was out looking. While I was at it, I did a little research for an article in our club newsletter. I found that there are basically two types of insurance for classic cars. The first is very affordable but allows very limited use of the car, i.e. drive it to a car show or drive it to your club meeting. And usually it must be in a locked or secure area at all times. This would come from providers like Hagarty. The second type allows for full use of the vehicle but is much more costly. As I like to drive my car to play golf, to weddings, to anniversaries, etc. So the first type of insurance was not acceptable. I started with full insurance from All State. Great service and coverage, but on a $40,000 car, the premium was about $1,200 per year. I continued to search and came across an alternative that fell somewhere in between. I now use Parish Insurance (800)274-1804 in Burns, TN. David Parish is a true car buff and has designed a policy for those of us who like to use our cars. I still have $40,000 coverage, but the premium is about half of All State. The only restriction is you don't drive the car more than 2,500 miles in a year.
For more names of insurance companies, try the "services" section of any month of Hemmings Motor News. You will find a bunch of companies. Good luck!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 99, 12:47 PM

I'm not sure how old you are 78, but most Classic Car Insurance companies require you to be at least 25-30 yrs old, no acceptions. you may also want to check at local swap meets/car shows because, from my experience anyway, there is always a booth or two soliciting insurance for classic automobiles (hey, not a bad place to advertise!). Good luck!

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
Team Chevelle Member #298
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old May 30th, 00, 07:38 PM
Tech Team

I have a '68 RS convt. and it is covered with State Farm under a classic car policy. I am 34 yrs. old and it costs me $33 every 6 months. Only restriction is driven less than 2500 miles a year. This is in Louisiana. Coverage is for up to $15,000
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 12:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I have Hagerty and did it all over the phone with their 800 number. However, I must disagree with some comments above. They told me there was no mileage restriction although, of course, they don't expect me to drive 10,000 miles a year. They said they realize I bought my car to enjoy and therefore did not restrict any pleasure use. They required one photo ( which was of the car apart in my garage ), did not require the odometer reading and accepted my 355 ( I was too honest ) as a stock motor since a 350 was available that year ( 69 ). I pay $108 for $9500 coverage.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 04:01 AM
Senior Tech

I have good old State Farm. My 69' Camaro is insured for $20,000 and I can drive it all summer long. No questions asked. All I had to do is fill out a small form describing the car, then drive it by ma agent so they could snap a few pictures. Done, all for the low low price of $279 every 6 months.

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
http://www.geocities.com/corsican69
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

I agree with RickD. I have Hagerty and there is no mileage restriction. However, you must have another insured vehicle (not required to be insured by Hagarty) that is your primary everyday driver. Los Angeles is a bit more expensive than most: $242 for $15K and my Agreed Value is too low.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 05:36 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Did you state the value or did they apraise and set it at 20k Shawn?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn:
I have good old State Farm. My 69' Camaro is insured for $20,000 and I can drive it all summer long. No questions asked. All I had to do is fill out a small form describing the car, then drive it by ma agent so they could snap a few pictures. Done, all for the low low price of $279 every 6 months.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 05:49 AM

I insure my 69 Z/28 through Allstate, along with my house, 2 other trucks, and my Ninja. I don't have a milage restriction, and I pay for the amount that I specified the car to be worth - $20,000. With all the discounts for multiple policies, I pay $444 a year. That's with a $100 deductible and 300/100/50 policy.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 09:44 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Most people around here (MA) now use Grundy Worldwide out of Penn. Then have the same restrictions as all the others. There phone # is 1-800-338-4005.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 10:04 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage
i am suprised Geico would not insure your car. i have Geico and have full coverage for my 68. i have a honda civic as my daily driver and when i added the camaro last summer my premium only went up about $20 a month. is the 78 your daily driver? Geico also has a division that handles only fully restored classic SHOW cars. it has to be stored in a locked garage and only driven to and from shows, though. so its useless if you really drive it.

------------------
68 Ash gold RS 327
factory AC,PS,PB
P-O-P
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 12:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

BTW - The value of my car was determined by me. I was told I can raise it as I invest more and/or it appreciates. Of course, the insurance cost would go up as a function of the rate per $100. And yes, they wanted to know that it was in a locked garage and that I had other daily drivers. I had to include a copy of the declaration page from my regular policy. But, I get ( with no deductible ) collison, fire, theft, vadalism.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old May 31st, 00, 01:06 PM
Tech Team

Has anyone had experience with a claim from a classic insurance company? I'm also curious about whether the company contested the declared value of the vehicle in any way (for those policies where there is no agreed value).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode