Rebuild powerglide - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I am about to shell out $500 to a transmission shop to rebuild my 2 speed powerglide. Will I like it when finished? I have never owned a powerglide and am unsure of what to expect. I can replace the 2 speed with a 3 speed for $300 more. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech

Hi Gambler
$500.00 sounds awful high for a powerglide rebuild- is that for removing and reinstallation labor as well or just the rebuild? If it includes the labor it's probably ok but if that's for a rebuild only you should shop around.
If you want to kep the car all original glides aren't all that bad, I drove my 67 with a glide for years. A 3 speed is definitely nicer to have, and you should be able to pick up a rebuilt TH350 for about $500.00 or less. If you have a couple of buddies to help you it's a fairly easy job to swap trannies.
Powerglides are getting harder to find, maybe you could work out some sort of swap deal with a trans shop? Pay for the 350 and trade the glide for labor? Good luck- Pete

------------------
68 Camaro 355/TH400/3.73
69 Nova 355/TH350/4.88
69 Firebird 400 ragtop
71 Firebird 350
00 Standard Trails 250
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 06:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I priced a TH350 awhile back from Advance Auto with converter was $375.00 plus core. Accurate Transmissions supplies them. I have installed one of their C6 trans. in my Bronco and have been well pleased with it. Just another option for you.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)

[This message has been edited by rojo (edited 02-01-2001).]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 06:07 PM
WE4
Tech Team

You get what you pay for....PERIOD!!!!!
Bruce
WE4

------------------
Thank You
WE4
Bruce Toelle
Performance Transmissions
"WE GOT THE 2004R PARTS!"
www.ptsnctb.com
[email protected]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech

Bruce you are right, it just sounds a little high to me. Lots of guys around here run glides in their race cars, and they're getting race prepped trannies for $700.00 to $800.00, so I would imagine a stock glide should be a lot less. I had my TH350 fully done with heavy duty sprags and clutches, a Trans Go kit and the converter gone through for $485.00 by a very reputable shop who guaranteed their work, knowing full well what I'll be putting it through. Now granted I did the r & r myself so I didn't have to pay for labor, but I wouldn't think a stock rebuild on a powerglide would be that much, and I certainly can't see a stock TH350 even with r & r being $800.00. I'm not in the trans business, and I know you are and that you are very well respected, so maybe there's something about a glide rebuild I don't know. In any case that's just my 2 cents- Pete

------------------
68 Camaro 355/TH400/3.73
69 Nova 355/TH350/4.88
69 Firebird 400 ragtop
71 Firebird 350
00 Standard Trails 250
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 11:29 PM
Senior Tech

I have a th350 i rebuilt myself..had never
done it before..bought a rebuild manual and went for it...the tranny works fine, it was a fun project...and not that difficult at all.
maybe you should think about doing it yourself...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 03:19 AM
Senior Tech

I had my Powerglide rebuilt for a total of $400, but that included an ATI manual valve body, steel clutch hub, and all new clutchpacks/steels, among other little parts. For a stock rebuild that is very high.

------------------
68 Camaro 396 powerglide 3.73posi
Soon to be daily driver
[email protected]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 05:31 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
What's in your car now Gambler? I assume it's not a PG. Is this your core being rebuilt? Or the cost for a new rebuilt trans? As far as prices go, Parts is parts. Performance parts are a bit more expensive but the labor to rebuild stock vrs performance should be about the same unless the builder has custom mods! Labor charges also very from city to city... I bet I would be charged twice in Los Gatos what WE4 charges in Sac for the same job...

I have seen rebuilt TH350's (no core) at the Goodguys show for under or around $500. Are you going racing? Street driving? Lots of things we need to know to really give you the best advice... Tell us more!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode