any info on this head's - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I know they are 87 head's an some were around 285 300 hp but can some one tell me what is the max lift the springs can take.14101083 any idea of horses 355 flat tops head's planed .20 three angle valve job roller rocker performer intake cam not sure maybe comp 270 short header's 2 1/2 pipes thx's just a bird ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Any idea's
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech

i will venture a guess, mind you a guess.

probably in the .450 to .500 gross lift area. this is the normal safe zone for late 80's and 90's OEM stuff, it is on the conservative side too i bet. i do not like to push the tolerances much, too easy to break stuff that way.

if you re-cam a motor it is a good idea to put in the valve spring's the cam maker recomend's unless you have new head's and the gross lift is in the spec area of the springs.

are they head's used? if so i would at least get them check out and go from there. at the least you should get them tanked and have a valve job done on them. and new hardware and springs too.

valve springs take alot of punishment and new springs&hardware are cheep insurance IMHO.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 02-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 02-02-2001).]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Thanks the head's have three angle job done feel kinda dum what dose that mean?they have been shaved .20 i have roller rockers i guess theses heads needed something like the vortec's for rockers.I got the engine thinking they were vortec head's duh! but i'm told they are 285 to 300 hp heads should they work alright with 355 flat tops an performer intake thinking of a double feed carb but i have a 625 holly single should they work alright?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Thanks the head's have three angle job done feel kinda dum what dose that mean?they have been shaved .20 i have roller rockers i guess theses heads needed something like the vortec's for rockers.I got the engine thinking they were vortec head's duh! but i'm told they are 285 to 300 hp heads should they work alright with 355 flat tops an performer intake thinking of a double feed carb but i have a 625 holly single should they work alright?Thx's just a bird
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 01, 10:12 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

A three angle valve job refers to the number of different angles cut into the valve seat. A 3 angle valve job will normally add a few hp over a standard 2 angle valve job. Your combo sounds very good...that cam is perfectly streetable with a nice healthy idle, and with .470 lift clearances wont be a problem. I would definately use matching comp cams springs, retainers, and locks though...even though the stockers will work they really dont have enough pressure (especially if they are used) for solid valve control at higher speeds...one good valve float and you could be building another engine. Your best bet is to purchase the k-kit...it has the cam, lifters, locks, springs, retainers, seals, double roller timing chain, and lube...and the price is very reasonable (cheaper than buying the stuff seperately). Flat top pistons with these heads (64cc) will give you anywhere from about 9.2-1 compression and up...depending on deck height and head gasket compressed thickness.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 01, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thx's just a bird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode