327 OR 350 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 01, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

I have a 1981 Camaro currently equiped with a 305, however I am going to change the motor soon and I need some advice, I have a compleate 350 block its either a 72 or 73 with 2 bolt mains, the block is quite usable however requires machining, But on the other hand I have a 327 crank that I have had machined and I Have new bearings for it, Im just currious on Which you would recomend the 327 or the 350, I am running a TH 350 with a 3:40 posi rear, I am considering upgrading to a TH 700 and 4:00 or so ratio in the near future soon, Im curious if my block will work with a 327 crank, I already have 202 heads for the engine and an Aluminium intake of of an early camaro. How much differance in drivability is there from a 327 to a 350 I know that the 327 typicaly revs higher and the 350 would produce the most low end torque but Im not sure what to do any comments or sudjestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 01, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Also I forgot to mention this car will be used as an ocasional driver with some drag race duty, however the drags are just for fun for me I dont really care what it turns. I just need some advice thats all.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech
John

If you already have most of the parts I would say go for the 327. They are pretty fun. If you have the cash though the 350 will give you more torque to move the car. However, if it is mainly a drag car and you are going to be using 4 something gears and a loose (high stall) torque converter than it won't really matter too much because you will already be higher up in the powerband. Like you already said, the 327 can rev up more quickly, the 350 has a bit more in low-mid rpm torque, it is really your call. If you want to drive it on the street the 350 will idle better with the same cam too.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech

I love the 327, good engine, durable and cheap to build up, but so is the 350, like the previous post stated, the 350 has more midrange, but you can make a 327 bad to the bone also.

or just build the 350 and tell them its a 327, most people wont be able to tell since the blocks are the exact same size.

------------------

Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks that has been some help, I think Im going to with the 327 just cause the 81's never came with one and I like to be differnt. but what pistons should I run? what compression ratio? Also is the crank a drop in affair or will any machine work to the block have to be done?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 05:40 AM
Senior Tech
John

crank should drop right in with the correct sized bearings if it has been machined down. Compression ratio has a lot of factors including cylinder heads (both type and efficiency of combustion), camshaft (some cams will bleed off compression due to overlapping times of the valve being open), and the type of gas you plan on running.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 06:13 AM

Hey, find the casting number on your crank and go to www.mortec.com and go to crank casting numbers and look it up, u mite be lucky and have a 327 large journal crank witch will drop rite in a 350 block, if its not no biggey just get the special bearings,
as far as compression dont go over 11 to 1
but stay over 9 to 1.....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 01, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ill check out that casting number, I am planning on running premium gas bout 93 or so octane I have a set of 202 heads, this car will be street driven a lot though. any recomendations. Im not planning on running a nutso cam, just enough to give it a bit of a rough idle
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 01, 02:31 AM

Another reason to go 327? Most TH 700 do not handle torque well. Your smaller 327 will work well with that tranny and it will last longer in the process. That 3.06 first gear will negate the need for the extra torque of the 350. That tranny and 4.xx gears will surely provide tire spin, why more torque? Nice choice!

I know because my 4L60 had to be "radically beefed" to sit behind my 358...

MLRTYME Racing Enterprises
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 01:21 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up

It's really your call because a 350 and a 327 are both the exact same block the only difference is the cylinder bore is obviously bigger on the 350. So anything will swap from either one to the other.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 02:34 PM
Senior Tech
John

The cylinder bore is the same at 4.00'', the difference is in the crankshaft stroke at either 3.25'' for the 327 or 3.48'' for the 350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode