Tuning problems - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

I have a SBC 350 with 10.5-1 pistons, ported/polished heads, crane 512, 302 duration cam, edelbrock manifold, holley 750 carb. with vacuum secondaries.

The motor has around 400 horsepower.

The car doesn't accelerate very hard. The timing is set pretty close. I am going to readjust the valves tonight. The engine pulls 12 - 15 on the vacuum gauge at idle. I haven't tried it in gear yet. What vacuum should I be pulling?

The problems I am having are as follows.

First, I don't know if the secondaries on the carb. are opening. How can I check and see if they are working properly? Which connections should the distributor and trans vacuum lines connect to on the carb? I have been told full manifold and someone else told me ported vacuum. Which is correct?

Second, the turbo 350 trans doesn't down shift on hard acceleration. The kickdown cable looks to be adjusted correctly. What would cause this?

What would cure these problems?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech

What gears are in the rear, if its setup properly, you should be able to burn the tires untill they fall off,

the Dist and trans vacuum should come from the intake,

does it hesitate, or take a while to get up in the RPM's? once above 2500-3K does it magically come to life?

hows it at takeoff? if slow takeoffs are a problem you may have to vamp up the converter to a higher stall speed, that way you reach the operating range of the cam and the engine will come to life faster.

Auto knock down cable? whats that. shift the car yourself. the "D" mark on the automatics was made for woman,

------------------

Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 08:43 AM
Guess

Hmmmm.... I just drove a friends '79 with a 406ci and 3.73 gears and it ran the same way yours does! I don't know what stall he put in it but it's a TH350. I can get more info on Monday.
I had to stand on it for a while before both rear tires finally broke loose. (I wasn't watching the tach) Seemed to have great top end but was lacking that bottom end "push ya back in yer seat" feel on acceleration. It ran smooth and quiet... must be tuned great but was a dog off the line.
I'll be interested in what y'all come up with.

------------------
Joe
[email protected]
'97 Blazer - Bad wheel hop!
'69 wallet crusher

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Angry

I forgot to say it has a 3000 stall. The car will spin the tires but not for very long. I don't get a second gear scratch. I have a friend that has another Camaro with around 300 hp and he can get a scratch in second and spin the tires as long as he wants.

We is this motor and trans. such a dog?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 09:52 AM

What gears do you have? Are they stock? If they are, even with a stall, it will take quit a bit of time to get it up and going with that big of a cam.

I have a large Comp XE284, and it's 284 adv. with 240/[email protected] and .540/.544 lift and with a Hughes 3000 stall and 4.11 gears, it will burn like mad until I get out of it. And this is in a 4200 lbs truck.

My bet is to check gears, and I bet you have 2.73's or 3.08's.

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and Hughes 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker

[This message has been edited by Tracy Focht (edited 04-06-2001).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb

Your combination with the 305 cam wont make much power until around 3000 rpm.Converter and gears are a must.370 min,gear411 or more out back would be better.A lot of mfg converters are advertised higher than actual stall.Your 3000 might be a 2500 or lower,this can vary with engine weight and gearing.Your Engine trans combination is like mine cam and all say 3500 lb car. I have a 34 to 3800 stall(ACC Boss HOG) and 411 gears 31 tall tire. Stalls at 2950 runs like heck.One way to quick check the secondary on your carb is to install a small sheet metal screw on lower left of carb behind the lever at slide of secondary If you try this it will bog at first but will come on hard if opening is your problem.Get a double pumper.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode