Edelbrock Performer or Performer RPM package? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 01, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Question

Any advice on Performer vs. Performer RPM package?

I'm planning on buying the heads, intake, cam, and 600 carb as a complete package (to avoid matching issues).

I was initially going with the RPM package, for the increased HP. But after reading different messages on this site, I got nervous about the RPM being not as nice for the lower RPM / street-driving usability?

The Performer package and RPM package are about the same $, am I wasting my money by going with the Performer package, and not the RPM package?

What has been the experience of others that have used them?

Thanks.

(P.S. I'm using a 350 TH training, 2400 stall converter, ~3.3 rear end, 9.5 CR, and ram horn exhaust into side pipes, on a 2,400 lb. roadster, in a 327 ci)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 01, 09:01 PM
Tech Team

go for the performer rpm! most of your set up is ready for it. on a 327 built correctly you should get close to 400hp from this setup.

as far as low end goes you can do a little tuning with the carb. as well as ignition timing to bring the low end around. besides the 327 will rev. if you want more low end i suggest using the money to get a 383 motor.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 01, 09:02 PM
Senior Tech

Use the RPM package except for the cam...that cam is really big for a 327 with fairly high gears like your car has, even if it is really light. On the other end of the scale, I think the performer cam is too small. There is way too much difference between the 2 cams, in my opinion. Try and find a middle ground...like the comp cams XE268. This cam would sound pretty healthy in a 327 but still be perfectly driveable and still makes loads of power, and will compliment your gears and the rest of the rpm package well. If you had more gear, like 3.73 or lower, then the rpm could work for you. The performer cam is more suited for trucks and heavy passenger cars. Just my opinion.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 06:57 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

I have the RPM setup in my car and love it! I do have to agree about the cam in the 327 though, may be a bit too much. In a 350 it would be great, runs on pump gas, power brakes do work, and it has excellent throttle response.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth,355/T350,Autometer guage pod
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 04:21 PM
Tech Team

I have the RPM package in a 383 with 2.73's (not for long, 3.73's are going in with the 9inch)and the lowend is fine...You can definitely feel the difference between 2000 and 5000 RPM, pulls much harder at high RPMs, but lowend is still enough to pass everyone from stoplight to stoplight without giving it any more than 1/4 throttle.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech

The Performer RPM seems a little big for a street 327. If you decide to use it, a 3000 rpm stall converter would be a good idea.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone like the Performer cam?

I was a little nervous about trying to come up with my own combination, I've read a lot of stuff about how if everyting doesn't match, all those great parts don't perform well.

It sounds like the Performer RPM is too much for a reasonably streetable 327, but I havn't seen any good press (outside Edelbrock.com) on the Performer.

Thanks agian for the feedback.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech

There is nothing wrong with the performer cam....I just think its too small for what you want. It has a stock idle quality and works best between idle and 4500 rpm's. Like I said before, its a great cam for a high geared passenger car or truck, and is very torquey and fuel efficient in these type applications. I guess it really depends on what you want...do you want a stock type idle and rv cam performance or do you want a noticeable idle that comes on strong above 2500 rpms? Or something else entirely? I think most will agree with me that the edelbrock cams are overpriced anyway...you can get the exact same grind (performer or rpm) specs from summit, wolverine, PAW, or TRW (probably all ground on the same machine) for 1/2 the price.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech

You shouldn't feel your cam selection is limited to Edelbrock's two cams.

The Performer cam duration @ .050 is 204/214....relatively mild.

Duration @.050 for the Performer RPM cam is 234/244...relatively wild.

These two cams are at extreme ends of the spectrum of what MOST people consider a streetable performance cam for an average size small block. Selecting a cam in the middle of that 30 degree spread will give good, broad power without seriously compromising low speed driveability.

Also, the Performer RPM heads 170cc intake port isnt that big. Running a smaller cam (than the RPM) with these heads definitely wouldn't end up being one of those mis-matched parts horror stories you've been reading about.

[This message has been edited by my69gofast (edited 05-22-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode