Cowl tag?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 19th, 01, 08:19 PM
stenn5

Question

OK, OK, I know and agree with cowl tag changing, but I have a almost finished X33"Z"
but the color is Rallye Green and I want to paint it black, with a white interior. The problem is if I show it and being a perfectionest, I hate the fact that it is coded green and dont want to hear people say "well thats not right" (I'm one of them) anyway what are your views of changing the trim tag only to change the color?? Or should I do the smart thing and live with it?
If you did change it is it possible to make it look factory? correct rivits and epoxy in the middle? My heart says dont change it but my mind will get tired of people knocking it or am I getting worked up for nothing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 12:14 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
if your a perfectionist, then you know that isn't the right thing to do; also if you change it for the color then you could change options too.... and we all know that isn't right or ethical.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 01:43 AM
Senior Tech

If u want it to be correct, then paint and trim should be correct also...if u change the color, well then it is not "correct" anymore....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 20th, 01, 05:11 AM
Senior Tech
Joel

Its your car do what you want with it and the way you want to do it.Just tell the next owner that the car was green when it was new and give him the old plate and let him decide what to do next.I like ralley green better than black anyway,to many black.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 03:30 AM
Senior Tech

You would be surprised at the number of people who reply, "thats a great color" seems that a lot of cars go the red, black route not that those colors aren't neat, but I am a little partial to the 79 Rallye Green and wouldn't have it any other way. FWIW, a friend just obtained a 68 rs, Ash Gold with Ivy Gold custom interior, and in a sea of red, black, blue Camaros, it gets a lot of attention, again, its your car but I would vote to keep it 79 RG and wouldn't even think about the repo cowl tag, IMO, it would just raise the , "is it original" question to much.

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 03:37 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

IMO, if you do change the cowl tag and take the car to shows with the color change, I think you'll still end up telling some people that it was originally Rally Green. Kind of a guilty conscience thing. Plus, I had a Rally Green conv years ago and it got a lot off attention at the shows. But, it's your car so do as you wish. We all know you'll tell the next owner about the change though and hopefully it won't get passed off in the future as an original black Z28.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, being restored
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 08:24 AM

Paint it Rallye Green, mine is an origanal Rallye Green and you wouldn't belive the positive comments and attention I've gotten at shows and cruises over the years. When I go to anual local Camaro show. (CamaroFest at Domino's Farms) I'm pretty much guarenteed that there will only be 1 or 2 Rallye Green cars there among all of the Red, Black, Orange, and Blue Camaros. Just my opinion.

------------------
camarodave
'69Z 23,000 orig. miles
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 09:39 AM
Senior Tech
John

Here's another way to look at it. You didn't order the car so you didn't pick the color, someone else did. Either the original owner or some inventory manager at a dealership did. '69 Z/28's were an RPO that included a 302 as the only engine but you could get one painted any color they offered. A paint code 51 Z is just as much a Z as a code 57. If the Z/28's were only offered in one or two colors it might make a difference. Like some others have said, "It's your car". You get to drive it and you'll see it more than anyone else will. What color do you want to see. Why not focus on the quality and appearance of the cars we enjoy so much. Admire the workmanship and the effort that went into it not so much on weather the bolt heads have the correct markings on them or not. Just so much grist for the mill.

John

[This message has been edited by onemorecamaro (edited 05-21-2001).]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 09:57 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
If the replacement tag isn't exactly right (rivits) you'll get just as much flack maybe more! It could make the car suspect to a perspective buyer in the future as well. Paint it the color you want, leave the tag alone, enjoy your car and shrug off the folks that have a problem with it!!

I say what I do because if you were really that anal about it you wouldn't be asking the question and you wouldn't be thinking about changing it from green to black!!

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 21st, 01, 07:54 PM
stenn5

Smile

You are all right the Z will not be tampered at all the tag stays!!! 79 79 is what I will paint her. I keep looking at the Rallye Green Z on the first Gen site and mine has a white interior just like that one. There are to many Reds, Blacks, Oranges and Yellows out there. I just love black. But thank you all for your kind advice and help!
Mike 79 79
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

I had a Rallye Green brand new in 1969. I thought it was the ultimate color. It only took about a year before my love for the color faded. I painted it Black, with white stripes. It had the black interior and was a beautiful color. At that time I installed the Cragar five spoke wheels. I sold the car after 4 years. About 14 years later I saw an add for a 69. I went to look at it an lo and behold it was black with white standard interior and white stripes. I fell in love again. I spent a small fortune on a frame on restoration and never really "finished" the car to a #1. But! It was the prettiest car at any show. The original color was glacier blue, another color that looks good on someone elses cars (my opinion only). With the chrome and the white constrasts even the Red Z/28 emblems jump out at you. I wouldn't even think twice. My current car is a super low mile original in garnet red with red deluxe and black stripes. If it wasn't for the fact it is so original it would be black. The only comments I ever got about the cars color was how striking the combo was. Do it!

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode