blown head gasket? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 00, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hi Guys,
I have a '68 RS convt. with mid 70's 350, edel.600, stock exhaust,intake,turbo 350 etc. Had a lot of timing problems but today I think I figured out what the problem is. Ran a compression check and #2 on passenger side blew water all over me and the compression gauge when the wife turned it over. Now it acts like it don't want to turn over anymore. No water in the oil but it uses water like crazy and is running on 7 cylinders. I'm afraid to ask what the damage may be. Is it best to pull off both heads rather than just one. Motor has about 10,000 miles on it. Someone told me DO NOT try to turn it over anymore because all the cylinders may be full of water and it could really do some damage. Please help

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 00, 03:54 PM
hideaway

i would NOT turn it anymore,and yes in this case i would pull both heads.i always do.i mean both have the same age and under the same running condition.check heads good and have a machine shop check them good for CRACKS.you might want to turn the motor over after you get into it, and check to make sure you haven,t BEND a rod.and don,t forget to CHANGE the oil b-fore start up. good luck

it cost to go fast
how dam* fast do you want to go
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech

I would spray a little oil in the cylinders bfore turning over as well. I once got a 350 running that was on a boat that had been underwater for a few days. It ran good afterwards but I'm sure there was some bearing damage.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 08:57 AM
Tech Team

Rick, bummer. In this case I would just pull one and examine what went down. The 2nd head is only a few bolts away from removal by then anyway. Diagnose the problem and you might be able to fix the one side only.

Regardless, you;ve found your problem. Tear the top off and see what gives.

------------------
Gene Chaas
67 Chevelle SS 427/L88
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the replies. I am going to pull the head(s) off tonight and keep my fingers crossed. I am worried about the top of the pistons because it has been detonating for a long time and I hope I haven't ruined anything else. Could this be the cause of the pinging I have been experiencing for quite some time? Will post again once I get the heads off and let you all know what happened.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode