1969 Rear Bumpers - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 00, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Are there any differences cosmetically between the repro rear bumpers for a '69 and the orrigonal? I'm thinking about buying a repro bumper because the one that's on my Z/28 is pretty rusty (25 years of barn moisture) Or would re-chroming the orrigonal be better? What kind of price range would that be in? Our family is a bi-automotive family and we have owned several [email protected]*gs but also own 4 f-bodies. on the "other" cars we read an article about the repros being different so i figured i better check. Thanks for any and all info

------------------
Joel
1969 Z28
LeMans Blue-White Stripes
#'s matching, P-O-P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 00, 06:11 PM
hideaway

if i was you i would get the oringial rechromed..i think in the long run you would be much happier.

IT COST TO GO FAST
HOW DAM* FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 00, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech

I agree. I think you will be happier with the original. I have to believe that the repois thinner Taiwan steel and there chrome is probably not as well, either. Bob

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 05:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

You might call some of the people like Rick's and ask. Some of them offer multiple quality levels such as "import" to "show" quality. I ordered show quality from D&R for my 69 and am very satisfied.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

You get what you pay for. A local shop up here will rechrome a bumper to an acceptable level for minimal dollars but if you pay the big bucks they will go past show condition right to museum quality. I've had a couple items chromed to this level and they are amazing. Anyways on my car I would fix, repair, or restore any part before I replaced it with aftermarket especially a bumper that can look better than new after recoating it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 00, 05:42 PM
Tech Team

My bumpers looked OK,but not perfect on my 69.D&R sent me a Christmas sale brochure that had Bumpers for $80 each,and rear guards for like $100 a pair.I bought them.The rear guards looked and fit as the originals,I loved them.Rear bumper fit perfect looked perfect,definitely lighter material.I am pleased with it.Front bumper looked fine,fit crappy.the holes were punched wrong and I had to shim the bracket to make it fit.If I were to grade these repops,Id give the guards an A,the rear bumper a B+, the front bumper a D.When I did this over 2 1/2 years ago Keystone wanted $200 a piece for rechroming.All that stuff looks perfect still.If they go to hell I still have my originals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode