Gas Tank IMPLOSION!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 01, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Red face

Well i just learned a very valuible lession about vented gas caps and why they are needed on our camaros. I replaced my old cap and didn't think twice about the new one I was putting on and put on an unvented style cap. Well i drove the car and noticed that when i went to fill there was an enormous amount of vaccume in the tank so much that I almost had to pry the cap off. I know this sounds crazy but it is true!! So i just keep letting the pressure out every now and then and had been doing this for the last couple of weeks. I was out messing around with some buddies and I noticed that my gas gague was acting funny it only read a 1/4 tank when I had just filled up that morning. I had just swapped in a 4.56 rear and thought that maby i had used that much gas but it still seemed like alot. Well i went to fill up and instead of the normal 16 gallons it takes i was only able to put in 6 so I just thought my gague was messed up. Yestarday I am tinkering under the hood and the car is running and i noticed that my fuel filter (clear one) was empty and the car was sputtering a little then it just died. At first I thought my pump might be shot so I checked the lines and they were dry. I went around to open the cap and tap on the tank and to my surprise the tank looked like an orange that someone had sucked the life out of!! I mean the thing looks like a smushed coke can . there are about 3 or 4 inches between the bottom of the tank and the support straps!! Crazy!! So now i am gonna have to give Ricks first gen a call and get a new one. Learn from my lesson only use a vented cap. I never would have guessed that there would be that much pressure to collapse a gas tank.

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 72 gm casting heads,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 12 bolt 4.56 posi..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 01, 05:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
scott

that has got to be the strangest gas tank story that i have ever heard. i promise i will definitely check mine and change if necessary. thanks for the info.

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 01, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Exclamation

I went to 2 places (AZ and Napa) to get a new gas cap for my 69. Both were unvented. They did not list a vented cap as available.....
Maybe it's the newer smog laws???
I guess I better order one too since I can't get one locally. It does seal real good and spits out when I open it if it's warm out. Don't want it to collapse on me!
I replaced mine cuz the locking one wouldn't seal right, and found that no one could make me a spare key!
Since you work at the AZ, I thought maybe you have better access to one?

joe

------------------
69 SS396 Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 01, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech
John

I didn't think that it built up negative pressure, I thought that the tank became pressureized positively, like it would pop rather than compress.

Whenever it is really hot and I pop my unvented cap, the pressure inside tries to blow the cap off rather than suck it in. Very strange. Perhaps there is a black hole entirely focused in the tank of your Camaro!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 01, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

As the engine sucks gas from the tank, it will create a vacuum in the tank. The vented cap lets air come in to occupy the space that the gas did.

The pressure that is released when you open the tank is gas that evaporated in the tank - probably caused by exhaust heat.

I guess with those 4.56s, the car was sucking more gas than the exhaust could evaporate
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 01, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

boodlefoof

U are not the only one who thinks there s a black hole in that tank

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci, 72 gm casting heads,mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 12 bolt 4.56 posi..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 01, 03:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

A long time ago ( too long ) I had a VW and put a huge rochester carb on it - a one barrel. Made quite a difference. In converting I plugged the vent to the tank. As I was driving, I kept hearing this metallic crunching noise. You know where I'm going with this. I understand perfectly the orange sucked dry phenomenon.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 01, 02:41 AM
Senior Tech

WOW, that ah, SUCKS! Sorry, I just had to. I did the same thing in my boat once, suck the 6 gallon tank in on itself.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.79 @ 123.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

Member of the "unwanted" 3rd Gen group.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 01, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech
John

Cool

well, I am sold. I too will be getting a vented gas cap soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode